• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i8600 possible heat problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

enduro

Well, for the past 4 days I haven't been able to play any game because of this problem. If I load up UT2004 or Half Life 2 it will glitch around like nothing else. Like it's a 2 sec lag in the entrance screen of UT. So at first I thought Speedsteip was doing it's thing but I used CPUMSR to force 16*100 and it still glitched. So then I figured it was just UT but I've tried three games and given the fact that it just started 4 days ago it can't be three buggy games in a row.

So this morning I took my lappy apart to replace the TIM on the vidcard but I found out that they use a huge foam block in place of TIM and so if I just removed the foam I would need to fill in the space. DId a search online and apparently you can use a copper shim to fill in that space but I want to know if anyone has has this problem as well? I replaced the TIM under the cpu which I would recommmend to anyone because they have this nasty black wax pad under there that didnt' look like it was doing anything at all. I havent' been able to get new temps because I had to leave for work and when I plugged the lappie in the green LED"S didn't come on so I'm going to take it apart again to make sure everything is good.

But has anyone had this problem before?

I checked but the pad they used on the cpu wasn't thick enough to create a gap. The cpu went all the way through. It was like the stock white pad they use on AMD's but it was black this time. The vidcard was just like that thoiugh. It had to have a 2mm gap at least so I checked this guide out but I'm not sure what to do so I'm chatting with Dell right now

http://www.bay-wolf.com/8500videoheat.htm

That's more or less the same situation I described above with my CPU.

I'd seen the 9600 Pro listed on eBAY as fitting the 8500, but the seller warned it needed to be modded to work due to overheating. This would be that mod needed. :D Sounds like it might be what you need too.

:D here's how unsuccessful my chat was:
{Kevin 9:57:47 AM} Zach, what is the game you are trying to play ?
{ 9:58:51 AM} UT2004
Half Life 2
Far Cry
{ 9:59:32 AM} I'm guessing it can't be a driver issue because I haven't updated anything recently
{ 10:00:26 AM} My brother has the same laptop (bought it the same day) and he has loaded everything I have and has has no problems. Mine just cropped up within the last three days
{Kevin 10:01:06 AM} Ok
{Kevin 10:01:17 AM} What are the requirements to play this game ?
{ 10:02:47 AM} I'm well over the requirements. I've tried running an older game as well and it still lagged. The thing is I played all of the games I mentioned just fine a week ago so it isn't a hardware problem. I checked my frame rates on Half Life 2 and I was getting 30 fps so it wasn't maxing the vidcard out either
{Kevin 10:03:39 AM} Ok
{Kevin 10:03:45 AM} Are, you chatting from the same system ?
{ 10:04:36 AM} no, I left it at home. I'm at work right now
{Kevin 10:04:42 AM} Ok
{Kevin 10:04:57 AM} I'll give you some instructions follow them when you are at the system.
{ 10:05:18 AM} all right
{Kevin 10:07:15 AM} Restart the system & tap the F8 key for couple of times
Select to boot into safe mode & press enter
Login as administrator
Click Start, and then right click My Computer and click Properties.
Click Hardware tab on top of the new window.
Click Device Manager right in the middle of the window. The device manager window will pop up
Click on the + sign besides display adapters
Right click on ati drivers & uninstall it.
Restart the system
{Kevin 10:08:29 AM} Then click on this link, download & install the divers
http://support.dell.com/support/dow...eviceid=5311&devlib=6&releaseid=R85434&p=HTTP
{Kevin 10:09:54 AM} Click start -> run & type msconfig
Click on the startup tab, at the bottom click on the button which says disable all.
Then click on the services tab, click on the Hide All Microsoft Services button.
Then uncheck all the files leaving Norton & Mc afee files checked.
Then click ok & exit without restarting

Restart the system
{Kevin 10:10:08 AM} Then, put a check where it says don't show this message again & click ok
{ 10:11:24 AM} okay
{Kevin 10:11:28 AM} Download & install the latest bios A13 from this link
http://support.dell.com/support/dow...eviceid=5237&devlib=1&releaseid=R92950&p=HTTP
{Kevin 10:11:40 AM} Try these steps & contact us if you still have problems

I posted this just so I don't have to email it to myself :D so don't mind me lol. I wanted to make sure I didn't lose the links.

I don't know how a driver will solve these problems but I'm glad he mentioned the BIOS update. I needed to do that anyway.

Well, 2 hrs before I can try out this stuff. Hopefully it will work.

Just to ask, I plugged the lappie in and the LED's didnt come on........I didn't power up though. Would this signify anything to anyone? I'm going to take it apart again but it would be nice to know what to look for.

From my understanding there are several versions of the i8600 it's weird that your brother would have gotten the same laptop on the same day and his works and yours don't...

keep in mind that your northbridge core is directlly underneath your graphics core ( Worst dsign I have ever seen) It may be possible that your northbridge may be in contact with your graphics card so when your graphics card gets warm your northbridge may overheat this could be caused by putting excessive force on the keyboard... Have you gotten any temp monitoring programs?

google I8kfangui (its a cool temp monitoring and fan controll program) and download that program... if your GPU TEMP is 80+c then this may be your problem...

if you got your lappy recently and your temp is above 80 or 90c then you might be able to get a free next day onsite service repair (if you have a warranty).

also some of the outdated bioses poorly controlled the fan settings so updating to new bios a13 at www.support.dell.com may fix your problem...

from what I have seen the I8600 is an unstable model number as some people have major overheating issues and bad screens and keyboards to some people having no problems at all...

my laptop has had zero issues and runs at about 46c full load for the processor and 64c full load for the graphics...

as for the led's you probbably forgot to plug in the ribbon when putting your lappy back together... I forgot to plug in the ribbon for my screen which plugs into my graphics card and i spent an hour figuring out why my screen diden't work...

:D Well I did a clean install of Windows and the problem went away................who knows but at least my lappy is back online without having to send it in.

BAH. I was hoping it was really FUBARred...I was gonna offer ya $50 bucks for it if it was.... :p

(kidding...just kidding. ;) )

Glad to hear ya got it fixed....Odd that Windows itself would create this problem. that's a new one on me too. Something to keep in the back of my mind though...good learning experience for us all here. ;)

:D Oh Oh I see how it is now. Mr. B playing the Devil " Give it up............your card is dead theres no point in fighting anymore..........just give it to me " ROFL ;)

Yeah I know it was a learning experience for me. I've never had that happen before so I didn't even consider it. Nerd Logic was the one who suggested it and to my horror she was completely correct. :D So then I had to go through the " I was right and your were wrong" song lol. Just kidding. She only laughed once and then let it go which I probably wouldn't have. I would have ridden that horse into the ground lol.

Back