• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to clean dust out of a dvdrw drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

covana2244

Can I just get some canned air and eject the tray and stick the nozzle in there and go to town? If not what is the best way to clean the inside of a dvdrw drive?

If there is dust on the laser then you can get cleaning kits from PC shops. Basically a disc with a little tiny soft brush on it. Play the disk, and it cleans your lens.

You could try skooshing some air in there I guess but I dont know if that will do the trick.

Is there dust in there causing issues?

David said:
If there is dust on the laser then you can get cleaning kits from PC shops. Basically a disc with a little tiny soft brush on it. Play the disk, and it cleans your lens.

You could try skooshing some air in there I guess but I dont know if that will do the trick.

Is there dust in there causing issues?

Well no issues as of yet, but I see some dust around the ran on the back and I don't want it to cause any problems.

actually I guess I am getting some errors. Everytime I try to burn a dvd in nero I either get a power calibration error, or an focus on track error.

covana2244 said:
actually I guess I am getting some errors. Everytime I try to burn a dvd in nero I either get a power calibration error, or an focus on track error.

Both of those could defiantely be caused by dust collecting on the lens.
Canned air should work, or even better would be an air compressor with a nozzle attachment so there's no accidental spraying of the fluid that can happen with the canned air.
Man, how many times can I use the word can in a post? :)

I clean the entire computer with canned air. I also took the dvdrw drive apart and clean the inside, surprisingly there wasn't that much dust in it. I am going to test it right now and post my results.

Did you make sure the lens was clean? If you still have issues check the IDE cable and see if that is maybe at fault. Failing that its either a driver or hardware fault.

I have an LG 4082B burner that has been giving me the lost focus error. I was about to toss it in the garbage. But you managed to get rid of the problem with cleaning it.

Did you just pop the door open and spray, or did you take it apart.

I might have an CD cleaner with brushes on it that I used in my car. Would that also be of use.

Back