• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I hook up my pump?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tay

How can I hook up my pump that plugs into the wall to come on when I turn my pc on?

You will need to hook it up to a relay so that when the power supply starts it transmits power to the relay and energizes the pump circuit,there is an article on the front page as to which relay you will need and how to wire it.

-Milkman

Having trouble finding it, can anyone link to it plz?

I heard that hooking your pump up to your ps was bad for it, is there any truth in that?

that kit doesnt hook the pump to your power supply, it just connects to the power supply to tell when your computer comes on so it can turn on the pump.
with that kit you will have to cut the power cords on your pump and wire it to the relay/plug thingy and then plug that into the wall.

~Magick_Man~

CPUonNO2 said:
i love howstuffworks. anyway, to do it, you get a relay with a coil rated at 12v. you solder a 12v line and a ground to the coil. then cut your pump wires and wire the + to a switched terminal on the relay. the other relay terminal will go to a 120V source, such as in your powersupply, which i recomend (although its dangerous, so be careful) or the wall. the - on your pump goes to either the wall or a gound in your psu. read that howstuffworks article, it tells you how relays work, which will help you when you wire it. btw, my relay was $12 from radioshack, but i bet you can find one online for cheaper. alternately, you can look through a dumped microwave for one...

magick_man said:
that kit doesnt hook the pump to your power supply, it just connects to the power supply to tell when your computer comes on so it can turn on the pump.
with that kit you will have to cut the power cords on your pump and wire it to the relay/plug thingy and then plug that into the wall.

~Magick_Man~

No, you will not have to cut you pumps cord: You can sacrafice an extension cord and plug your pump into that. Just make sure your pump won't come unpluged from the cord (wire ties)

Tay said:
I heard that hooking your pump up to your ps was bad for it, is there any truth in that?

It isn't an issue as long as you have a pump that's designed to be powered by your PC. Secondarily, make sure that you have a PSU capable of the extra draw. :cool:

Personally, I think running AC pumps through relays is a bad idea. Between the extra wear-and-tear on the pump through starting and stopping (which is more than just letting it run full time), the pump is coming on after the PC starts whereas it should come on first. Then there's the issue of a second plug that can come undone.... Anyway, my solution was to run a cable from the PSU's main on/off switch to the back of the PSU and add a connector to plug in the AC pump--so if the PSU is turned on the pump is turned on.

The operation looks like this:

Attachments

• 2005-03-05 - 024s.jpg
    2005-03-05 - 024s.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 2005-03-05 - 025s.jpg
    2005-03-05 - 025s.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 2005-03-05 - 026s.jpg
    2005-03-05 - 026s.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 100
  • 2005-03-05 - 028s.jpg
    2005-03-05 - 028s.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 2005-03-05 - 030s.jpg
    2005-03-05 - 030s.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 108
This sounds like that old argument about whether to leave a PC on all the time. ;) Also, aren't there PCI relay's that power a pump at system startup?

Perseus said:
This sounds like that old argument about whether to leave a PC on all the time. ;) Also, aren't there PCI relay's that power a pump at system startup?
yea there are, but whats the fun in that? mvc, that is one nice job!

l3ored said:
yea there are, but whats the fun in that? mvc, that is one nice job!

Thanks! Though I have to admit I was a bit, shall I say, aprehensive. I took the PSU out of the box, jumpered the atx connector and verified the thing worked, and then voided the waranty big time. Little scary to do with a brand new OCZ Powerstream 600, they aren't cheap!

Perseus said:
This sounds like that old argument about whether to leave a PC on all the time. ;) A

Yes and no. I really didn't like the idea of the second AC plug. I've got the PC itself pluged into a backup power supply and configured for automatic (and controled) shutdown in a power failure (I learned this the hard way when I lost two systems during the big blackout a couple of years ago--speed disk was running while I was at work). I just didn't have enough plugs on the backup to power the pump as well. I figured it was better to make sure the pump runs at least as long as the computer and if the computer is already shutdown when the backup finally runs out of power, I'm not worried about an "uncontrolled" shutdown of the pump.

I just got an idea: plug the pump and the ps into the same power strip, after turning off the computer, switch off the power strip, so, if you want your computer back on, you have to turn on the power strip, thus, turning on you pump!

Back