• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I RAID 0 different capacity HDD's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jchsatx09

I was wondering if I could RAID 0 a 80GB Western Digital HDD with a 120GB Western Digital HDD, provided that I partition the 120GB to an 80GB + 40GB. (I know that it will be more like 74.5GB + 37.5GB)

And how would I do this because RAID installation F6 comes before partioning in Windows setup if I'm not mistaken.

So can anyone help me?

I'm getting my NF7-S V2 on monday, so I want to try it out.

You can do that but the larger harddrive will essentialyl become an 80 GB since they will be treated both as 80 GB harddrives. No paritioning will help that. It's just how it works--kind of like RAM, which always times at the slower timing if multiple sticks are used.

So essentally I would lose 40GB.

I can handle that...so how do I do it?

Honestly, there's no real benifiet for you to do it except for the learning experience. Wether or not you can do it, really depends on your RAID controller. Some will allow for different sized drives, and some will not. The setups for RAID controllers is different for every system, but should be listed in your motherboar manual.

The nf7-s has its raid controler for the SATA ports (not ide) so you'd need 2 ide>sata converters. I've never done it myself, but im fairly certain you build your array before any OS or anything by hitting F4 when it pauses saying "Hit F4 to go into raid setup" Then once you've built your array, you pop in windows cd. Put in you floppy disk of drivers that comes with the mobo and hit F6 during the brief time that it says press f6 to load some drivers down in the bottom left corner.

From there I assume it would just appear as one harddrive to the windows installer.

Back