• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new system problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FG01

Registered
about a week ago i was asked to build a compy for my grandmother. i went on and ordered all the parts and received them in the mail today. while building everything was going smooth and it NEVER goes that way. so anyways i finally get everything working and i figured i'd start it up to make sure everything was working since i didn't know where my xp pro cd was. when i started it up i looked through the BIOs to get familiar with where everything was at. i finally found the temp monitors and noticed my cpu temperature was at 187 degrees ferenheit (something like 97 or so in Celsius i can't remember) so i shut down immediatly in hopes that the system was ok. i pulled off the heatsink and noticed the thermal paste on the heatsink (the kind that comes pre-applied) hadn't even made an attempt to stick to the cpu. i dug through my room and found my last bit of thermal paste and stuck it on and restarted the computer to check the thermal readings. before i got a chance to go to the BIOs i got a message saying "your cpu ratios have been changed or reset please save them in your CMOS settings" i went into the CMOS and checked everythign out and found nothing out of place so i checked my temperatures and they were down to 105 ferenheit(1 porblem under control) now that i think i have everything right i put in my xp disk which i found while looking for my thermal paste and restarted. when i restarted i got "floppy drive error #40" and i don't even have a floppy installed.. :eek: so i i checked all my wires and made sure everything was wired right which it seems to be but i still can't get the cd-drive to read the xp cd. i tried using a linux cd to check and see if it was the cd causing problems and it failed as well. does anyone have any ideas on what i might do to fix this? thanks in advance :bang head

in addition to all this i have noticed if i don't turn my power supply off the hsf will randomly turn on and off..not sure if this is a problem with the hsf or if the cpu is just to hot or what...... :shrug:

You should really provide more information on exactly what hardware you're dealing with as many peeps around here have alot of experience with various hardware. That said is the CD/DVD drive you're trying to boot from showing in the bios?

i have a celeron D 2.66 GHz, biostar p4m266a u8668d rtl mobo, sapphire radeon 7000, 2 sticks of 256mb DDR400 RAM, maxtor 80GB HDD, and a combo AOpen cd/dvd-drive

and yes i see my harddrive and cd drive in the BIOs

Looks like you may have improperly hooked up your CD ROM...I'm really surprised you didnt fry your CPU...you got lucky.

FG01 said:
i have a celeron D 2.66 GHz, biostar p4m266a u8668d rtl mobo, sapphire radeon 7000, 2 sticks of 256mb DDR400 RAM, maxtor 80GB HDD, and a combo AOpen cd/dvd-drive

and yes i see my harddrive and cd drive in the BIOs

You set the combo drive as the first boot device and it doesn't come up at all?

check your bios, in some bios there is an option to disable floppy drive error messages, if you have it and you don't plan to put a floppy in there then it's not much of an issue.

alternatively (if you haven't already) you could check for the latest bios revision. depending on your manufacturer there may be a windows based bios flashing utility, or you could make a boot cd

ok i found that it wouldn't load XP because the drive newegg sent me was bad :temper: well i then found out that there is still a couple of things wrongs with the cpu. when i turn it on it tells me i have to reset the settings in the CMOS because the cpu ratio has been changed? :confused: :shrug: also i turn the system off then the fan on the heatsink will randomly turn on :eh?: i don't know wtf is up with it. any suggestions would be appriciated :beer:

Back