• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

boinc client upgrade - what happens to uploading WUs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enkidu

The background:
So I am about to run out of SETI WUs on my fastest group of machines... I figure "OK No problem I'll just get Einstein going"

I setup an account and attempt to attach to the project when much to my surprise I get an error message saying I need 4.19 or higher (Yes yes ok so I've been slacking and haven't upgraded these boxes yet).

Each of these machines has between 40 and 60 *completed* work units waiting to be uploaded once seti's servers are back.

The problem:
Last time I tried to upgrade a client I *thought* it detached from the project first thereby nuking all WUs. Does anyone know FOR CERTAIN that if I upgrade the boinc client I will not lose all all these units?

Thanks,
Enk

Close BOINC. Make a backup of your BOINC directory and try it. If it loses them, just copy the original back into place.

I'm pretty sure it won't detach from the project, a lot of people working on month long climate prediction units would get mighty mad if that happened.

Good advice SunRedRX7, I've personnaly never lost any finished units or had it detach me from a project while I upgraded. Of course you can never be to safe so just do a copy as he said.

Even though this thread is a few days old.. lol I just updated the 2.4c to v4.19 for E@H. I didn't seem to run into any probs. I've run out of S@H wu's last night sometime, so I'm working on E@H now. The 2.53 is out of S@H wu's, but probably will goto P@H as the wife has an interest in it. When S@H goes back online, so will my comps for that project.

That's good to know :) I've never lost WUs while upgrading either, but with a huge queue of ones saying "Uploading", I'd be a tad bit wary. Good to hear everything goes fine!

JigPu

Back