• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3200+ or 3500+?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vaio

What would be the better of the two for overclocking? It is going to be backed up with Geil Ultra PC4000 memory, an EVGA 6800gt PCI-E vid card, and most likely a DFI board.

Thanks,
Vaio

From the results indicated from many members here, the 5-letter code such as CBBFD, CBBHD, CBBID for Winchester, and the week code such as 0448 are more important than the selection of a 3200+ or a 3500+, unless running the CPU at stock setting.

My thoughts exactly. Therefor, if I follow the "choose one and hope for the best" method, which chip would be the better of the two?

well as i see it they all do close it the same 2.4-2.7 ghz on air
so i got the 3200 im happy after very few trys im @ 2.6ghz
it depends on the ram u plan on , very fast ram u can get a 3000+
but having the higher multys is nice for not super $$ ram

you're thinking about it the wrong way. You dont have to buy it from the egg...heck, you could buy it from a local brick and mortar store (this is actually better b/c you know EXACTLY what chip you are getting). Run around town a little first before you buy online.

Well, all the shops around here are WAY overpriced(roughly $50 or more over neweggs price), and I am on a high school grad budget($1000 for cpu, cooling, memory, video card, and mobo). I mainly want something that would smash a S754 3400+ w/9800 pro and a gig of DDR400(for reasons that are my own :D )

Thanks again,
Vaio :burn:

barter witht he local shop , we have 3 shops in my area , they know i buy lots of parts and i never pay full price just caz i barter andsay Hey i can oder this online but i like you guys so i come here so i want that price or close to

ocz power stream 520
msi neo plat
xp-90
6600gt
3200+ oc @ 2.5-2.6
tccd ram shouldnt be over 1000 $

I might give that a try. A buddy of mine works for a local chain of stores, and another one works in one of the local stores. Both of them can probably hook me up a little, but still now close to what newegg would want for it.

If I do go into a store, could someone tell me how to tell the difference between a newcastle and a winchester core chip(assuming it doesn;t say so on the box)?

Thanks,
Vaio :burn:

Thanks for the list, but I am keeping my powersupply, and I am not going for anything less than a 6800GT(I also have to contend with a S754 3200+,512mb, MSI platinum, x800xt 256mb, and I cannot lose this time around...).

You can see the actual chip you will be getting in the box...theres a plastic cover over the CPU, and from that, you can read all the codes on the IHS. I forget exactly what the code you're looking for is...something like ADA3xxx...ah, I forget. theres a sticky that should clear all that up.

both cpu overclock the same anyways, I should know I have both, both of my suck becase 3500 and 3200 do the same speed, anyways mine are both cpu from 2005 week 1 really bad series for me

If you are looking for winchester the first on cpu heatspreador line will something like ADA3200DIK4BI for 3200 or ada3500dik4bi for 3500

The only thing you gain by getting the 3500+ is a higher multiplier. Which is great if you cant oc your ram much, but thats not your case. Id drop for the 3200+ spend the extra money, on a DFI nforce 4 ultra. TCCD ram. The 6600GT is a good buy, for the money. Compare farcry's screenshots from both cards, im shure you'll be happy. Just dont forget about the PSU.

ok. I plan on upgrading my PSU later to something nice, but for now my Ultra will work(I hope :crosses fingers: ).

I am just curious about how well the stock heatsink/fan combo works. I plan on running the OEM setup, or something cheap to start with, and going water later.

I agree with you that the 6600GT is nice, but one of my friends has one, and I really don't want to copy off of him. All of us in my gaming group try to buy different parts, so that we can see what works, and what doesn't.

Go with the 3200, I bought a 3500 and just ended up useing 9x and 10x multi. It is clocking the same as most of the 3200s. I am at 2.5 prime stable and should be able to get 2.6 with a little more effort. I should have saved my money and got a 3200

well, the 6800GT is $450, and you need a good PSU to back it up (trust me, I have 2). If you dont want to copy him, buy the card from a different manufacturer. I hear BFG and Gainward makes very nice cards.

Since you're running PC4000...I'd say go with the 3200 that has a good stepping. you dont need the higher multi (in fact, you dont want the higher multi: higher HTT with a lower multi gets you far more mem bandwith than a lower HTT and a higher multi).

Dont run that stock paperweight for too long ;) ! Go to water as soon as you can, or buy a decent $30-$50 HSF.

Back