• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

want to run OSx on a Pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kooga_magnum

I googled a little bit for this but nothing too specific came up, has anyone ever done it and is it very hard? I dont necessarily care how fast itll be etc, just want something functional, let me know thank you.

you cant do it, if you want OSX you have to buy a mac. The closest thing you can do is run the Darwin BSD system on your PC, its the same core but with out the Aqua UI.

You can do it. Google for "PearPC". It will run OSX fine, but very very slow since it has to emulate everything including the PowerPC instruction set architecture.

PearPC itself is free software, but you still need a copy of OSX of course.

You can do it, but only through emulation (eg pear pc). This involves a signigficent performance hit. OSX id for PPC-based processors, which use a differnet instruction set than x86 processors do. There is an x86 version of Darwin (the kernel) for x86, but it has limited driver support and all the fun UI stuff is PPC-only.

infinitevalence said:
The closest thing you can do is run the Darwin BSD system on your PC, its the same core but with out the Aqua UI.

I think most people want OSX for it's UI.

What about installing Linux/Lindows, then install VM-Ware, then drop OSX on it (from the retail disk of course :p )?????????

You can install WinXp or any OS on VM-Ware...
We are attempting to do this in my Systems Admin class/lab this semester... Heard from my partners and teachers that it at least runs better than PearPC. I don't know much past this info though...sorry...

There is also another emulator you can use called basilisk II. It's a package you can emerge on gentoo. I set this up and use it to access my old college mac hard disk, which is currently in my PC.

I run OS8 I think (which was the OS in use when I was in college). I am not completely sure if it supports OSX, you'd have to check that.

there is a program out there called cherryos that is supposed to be a decent PPC emulator. One of my friends was really exited about it a while back, I am not a huge fan of OSX so I am not sure where it is. Check it out.

CherryOS guys stole their code from PearPC. Then when they were caught, they hastily stopped distributing their stolen code and no one has ever heard from them or seen running code from them again.

A question about VMWare: since when are they emulating different instruction sets? Last time I chekced (admittedly some time ago), they only allowed x86 OSes to run. VMWare does virtualization, not emulation like PearPC does.

Just checked: they don't allow PPC code to run as guest. So unless you have a OSX version which runs on x86, you're out of luck with running OSX under VMWare (and no, Darwin is not OSX)

Last edited:
VMWare only virtualizes x86, you can't run ppc stuff in it.

Basilisk doesn't emulate ppc, it emulates an m68k -- thats what came before ppc.

You're only choice is PearPC. If you have a REAL fast box, it *might* be decent. I've seen it in action on a 2.4g P4, it was quick enough to fool around with but you couldn't do much REAL work in it I don't think.

If you are looking to have the OSx feel and look then use Object desktop and windowblinds (or equivalent) and use the included osx themes.

you may wanna try QEMU

i use qemu to boot 64bit ISO's on my Intel CPU:) and it does support OS X

~$ qemu
qemu qemu-snapshot-2005-03-04_23/
qemu-arm qemu-sparc
qemu-armeb qemu-system-ppc
qemu-i386 qemu-system-sparc
qemu-img qemu-system-x86_64
qemu-ppc

Last edited:
Back