• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ghost Microsoft to another computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It should ghost find, though you would encounter a lot of errors since windows has a driver for almoat every piece oh hardware you have. I wouldnt recommend it.

Whenever the chipset of the mainboard changes, you will want to reinstalling windows. Windows "repairs" are a crapshoot. As a rule of thumb, sooner or later you will get weird errors and problems if you change chipsets. Ghosting it to a different PC with different chipset would be the same, so don't do it.

I upgraded a client's system today (motherboard, ram, cpu, and vid card). Fully expecting to have to repair or completley re-install, to my surprize, the thing went right into windows, detected almost all of the new hardware, and asked to be rebooted. On the reboot, windows popped up a warning that said the system had undergone major changes, and that it had re-activated within 3 days. Few clicks of the mouse it was re-activated, without having to call MS. Sometimes windows does surprize me, pleasantly. So yes it's possible, but I think the system today was a rare instance, and I wouldn't count on it going as smoothly.

Back