• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prime95 testing.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

inkfx

Well last night I ran prime95 while I slept and this morning when I look at it, it stopped 6 hours into the test. Is this normal for my proc at stock speeds, I dont have anything OCed right now, my multi is set to 12x200 so my RAM is even running at PC3200. If this is normal just let me know, thanks.

if it was an error, you're probably still fine, 6 hours is quite a long time. if it just completed, you're good, and can run longer tests by changing the settings for it. Either way, i think you'll be ok unless you game for +6 hours :)

It is not normal for a stock system to error after only 6 hours. What are your temps like? Does memtest86 return errors?

I've had systems run prime95 for over 5 days while overclocked without errors (I'm somewhat less obssessive now, however).

Looks like the error was generated from overheating. Improve your case cooling for better airflow inside. That temp needs to drop.

inkfx said:
My temps at stock running Prime95 go up to like 58C, or somewhere around there.
That,my friend, could very well be why you errored out. Around 55-56-57 and up is where most AMD's lose stability. You are running those temps at stock?? Be sure your vcore is set to stock settings... hit optimal defaults in bios.
If your settings are indeed correct and you are still getting those temps, your HS is either seated wrong/ HS fan is not working/ or something is seriously wrong. Try re-seating your heatsink first, and use some AS5 if you've got it.

umm... 12x? 200x12? thats 2.4 isnt a 3500 @ 2.2? 3200+ @ 2.0 and so on?

i think ur overclocking a bit.. haha try a multi of 11 and see wat u get then :)

but those temps do sound a bit high if ur at stock volts

[EDIT] ohhh complete boob... hes got a 3400+ where did i get 3500? haha

but i tell u wat.. my cpu didnt work at stock volts on stock settings in prime... actually it froze after 5 mins.. u know wat i had to do? undervolt it.. no joke.. i ran it at 1.25 and it ran prime perfect after that :)

and obviously im up to 1.55 but im giving it more of a clock so it runs it fine.. strange but give it a shot... its worth trying.. try 1.4 or so

58 C 2 stock spells trouble. Could you tell us what kind of a heatsink/fan you have in there? Double check your HSF to make sure its securely fastned to the mainboard. I also hope you are using a thermal compound to improve the contact between your heatsink and CPU. Please avoid the stock AMD goop. You may use Arctic Silver 5 instead.

My HSF is in my sig. I put Arctic Silver 5 on it but maybe I didnt put enough? Can anyone give me a link/pic that shows how much to put on it? Thanks.

haha well the first time i did this.. i put way to much on.. when i took my stock hs off.. the cpu was stuck to the stock hs... it came out with it.. i was like.. wow.. so when i did it this time.. i put a lil on and did the same thing they did with my finger.. cept i didnt have a lil bag between my finger just my finger.. lol

i didnt actually see this till after but it appars i did a decent job neways.. lol

Thats exactly how I put the Arctic Silver5 on there. Yeah when I had the stock HS on there and removed it to put on this new one and add AS5 I pulled it out and the processor came with it. Is this going to happen again, because last time it scared my to death, thought I might have broken some pins.

haha i just peeled mine off.. it came off somewat easy... but scared me cause it came out of the socket.. haha

I've run an old regular XP for months that would crash in prime95 after test 4, but I could game endlessly on it, then again, it was just that i was walking the veyr thin line on the barrier of that chip, 1.9ghz, my cooling was great though (peltier). With those hot temps, I would definately turn it down some, perhaps enough to run it stable at 1 step down in voltage just to be safe.

I'd get a beefier heatsink if that's an option for you, xp-90 or 120 hey hey!

Yeah, high temps sounds good, but yeat the max temp for AMD is 65 - 70 C anything after ure proc is not gonna go long. im sitting here freezing my *** of with my windows open to see how low my temps can go with F@H lol. Just for fun not OCin or anything.

Back