• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new Geforce PNY 6800 GT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lotec25

Hey,

Well after a few unfortunate events today and my 9800 Pro frying to the nothing and leaveing a nice smell in my room i went to Fry's and got myself a new video card. Auto detect got me up to 418/1.9

My ? is where can i find the PNY Untra bios? i looked on http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?op...d=26&func=selectfolder&filecatid=67&orderby=3
and i dont see it there. I know they make an ultra but i have not had any luck finding the bios for it. Can i use a different bios from another Card company like BFG? So if someone can point me in the direction it would be great.

O yea it feel good to have Nvidia back and the frame rates are just crazy. Ill starte running some benches soon and ill post results.

yeah i would like to know where to get the ultra bios from also and how to install it, i now have the 1.4v mod done, i dont know if thats the same thing as the bios mod.. OC's and benches are in the sig.... boost, boost, boost

either i am tired or just not looking

The Ultra bios is there. not i got to put my floppy in i think that will hold off until tommorow.

anyone know of a way to make a boot cd that will start dos? actually i guess that is a bad idea cant write to it in dos to back my bios up.

the detect is working preety good keeps moveing it up and up a little at a time. I got 123 fps in CS demo.

you guys might want to try THIS site. It has bios's up the ying yang. Good Luck.. I never did the bios hack but on water my gt optimal detects at 430/1180. Smoothe as silk.

Lotec25 said:
either i am tired or just not looking

The Ultra bios is there. not i got to put my floppy in i think that will hold off until tommorow.

anyone know of a way to make a boot cd that will start dos? actually i guess that is a bad idea cant write to it in dos to back my bios up.

the detect is working preety good keeps moveing it up and up a little at a time. I got 123 fps in CS demo.
hey i found it on there, http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=26&func=selectfolder&filecatid=67 im going to give it a try let me know how make out as well..

Last edited:
The majority of the new PNY 6800 GT's can not handle 1.4 volts. They have new, lower quality FET's that can not handle the higher voltage. Be careful flashing an ultra bios with that card. If you do flash it, immediately go in to Nvidia control panel and run auto-detect again. If the results are much lower than your stock bios, that most likely means that your card can not handle the voltage increase. Reboot and flash the original bios back.

i was just curious coz when i OC'ed it to 420/1130 in 2D, then ran 3dmark there is corruption, but in 3D, it just hangs-up. i've just tried the 1.4v mod earlier, and im trying to see if it makes a difference.

Needitcooler said:
The majority of the new PNY 6800 GT's can not handle 1.4 volts. They have new, lower quality FET's that can not handle the higher voltage. Be careful flashing an ultra bios with that card. If you do flash it, immediately go in to Nvidia control panel and run auto-detect again. If the results are much lower than your stock bios, that most likely means that your card can not handle the voltage increase. Reboot and flash the original bios back.
mine handles it nicely, i think though, because it has the ultra pcb.

I googled around and found some DOS ISO's. Made a boot CD since I don't have a floppy. Played with it and found for whatever reason it didn't see my C drive, but did see my D, and called it C. So I put nvflash in the root of D. Copied the original in the same dir, and put the modified bios there too.

Works like a champ! I see less reason for floppies daily, esp. with windows based mobo bios update apps becoming more prevalent, and reliable.

ok i flashed mine. I did the 1.4V mod first and actually did not get any increase, it went down. So i said screw it ill try the Ultra Bios and WOW i am Happy 428/1.2 i am very happy now why the 1.4v mod did not work is weired there are no real changes that i can see from uping the voltage or just using the Ultra bios.

And slagburn i found the DOS ISO but there is no way to back up your old bios. All you can hope for is that the one's you can find work that was the only problem i was faceing doing it with a CD. So i broke out my floppy and a couple disk and got it running.

Now my next question i have seen some bios on there for extreme ultra i am woundering if i can get that to work. the Voltage is alot higher maybe ill hold off until my new Water block gets her on tuesday.

Lotec25

Which rev of the pny unltr bios did you try? the 1.4 mod made my overclock worse also but i can run 428/1200 all day with the stock bios.

ha i tried to do 1.5v and my card didnt like it very much, it booted into windows fine but then i tried running any type of game and it would freez up.. wont be trying that again..

I was able to back up the original bios fine w/ the DOS cd, use the correct nvflash command and put it back on the c drive. I then went back into windows to verify it was there, then adjust it.

I had the same problem with the Ultra bios not working the first time guess i should of said that. I had to use a different bios i went with the rev 3 aug2004 first that one did not work i think tried the feb 2005 one and it worked fine http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?op...=26&func=fileinfo&parent=folder&filecatid=899
there is the link to the one i used. i got a weired msg on the first one said something about the numbers being different and all i could think to myself is no crap there different it's a gt lol

Hope this helps is anyone got a PNY 6800GT water cooled? i would like to know how it is running and if you tried more volts to it?

Lotec25

Lotec25 said:
I had the same problem with the Ultra bios not working the first time guess i should of said that. I had to use a different bios i went with the rev 3 aug2004 first that one did not work i think tried the feb 2005 one and it worked fine http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?op...=26&func=fileinfo&parent=folder&filecatid=899
there is the link to the one i used. i got a weired msg on the first one said something about the numbers being different and all i could think to myself is no crap there different it's a gt lol

Hope this helps is anyone got a PNY 6800GT water cooled? i would like to know how it is running and if you tried more volts to it?

Lotec25

liquid, what kind of clocks are you seeing now? did the ultra bios change anything?

Back