• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

File corruption?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sleeper

Registered
I need some help. I'm having a problem when trying to open browser links. When I click on a link, a "ghost window" opens, (it resembles a zoom window, with the underlying windows info in it) but nothing happens, and the address bar remains blank. If I copy the link, and paste it into the address bar and click go, it works.
I also have noticed that if I right click on any of my desktop icons, hit properties, and then hit "find target" nothing happens.

I run AdAware, Spybot Search and Destroy, antivirus software and a firewall, so I'm pretty sure it isn't a virus.
To me this sounds like I have a corrupted file , but do not know where to look.
I did upgrade my video drivers recently, but all seemed to be normal at the time.
I have gone back to a previously saved registry version, stepped down to an earlier video card driver version, run all the scans, defragged, etc, and nothing shows up.
There are no other anomalies with the system.
I'm running Win98SE.

Paul

I'm having a problem when trying to open browser links. When I click on a link, a "ghost window" opens, (it resembles a zoom window, with the underlying windows info in it) but nothing happens, and the address bar remains blank. If I copy the link, and paste it into the address bar and click go, it works.
Without knowing which version of IE you're running, I'll just link you to the following MSKB articles re: repairing or reinstalling IE in Win98...

Information About How to Reinstall Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q258893/

Description of the Internet Explorer Repair Tool
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q194177/

redduc900 said:
Without knowing which version of IE you're running, I'll just link you to the following MSKB articles re: repairing or reinstalling IE in Win98...
Thanks for the links. Sorry I forgot to post the IE version before, I'm using 5.50 (It has always worked fine, so I never bothered upgrading. I have downloaded all the security fixes though)
After doing some reading, I may switch to Mozill, Firefox or Opera (The jury is still out :shrug: ) if I have to re-install IE

Do you think this would effect my desktop problem as well?

Paul

5.5 I would also reccomend you upgrade. 6(I think that what is new one?) has from I can tell no real draw backs, and is/will be required for some websites.

Fixed the problem:)
FWIW
If anybody runs into this problem in the future.

It wasnt a browser specific problem, just messed with it.
It was an...

Unhandled exception
Error number 0x80070725
Incompatible version of the RPC stub

Cause
"This error is caused by an incompatible version of a DLL that was installed on the system, such as Oleaut32.dl..."

Fix
Use the SFC tool and extract oleaut32.dll from the Win cab files to the Win/Sys folder.
Worked like a charm :)

Paul

Back