• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In need of extreme help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

icedog90

I've got a couple of very important questions before I get another 512mb stick of memory to switch on dual channel mode...

First off,

The nforce2 platform has two 64 bit memory controllers (which are independent of each other) instead of just a single controller like other chipsets. These two controllers are able to access "two channels" of memory simultaneously. The two channels, together, handle memory operations more efficiently than one module by utilizing the bandwidth of two modules (or more) combined. By combining DDR400 (PC3200) with dual memory controllers, the nForce2 could offer up to 6.4 GB/sec of bandwidth in theory.

This has been bugging me for a long time... My motherboard box says this exact thing about my nForce 2 chipset. I have one stick of 512mb PC2700, and I don't know if it only works with two sticks of PC3200 memory. I have no idea if it will work with two sticks of PC2700 too...

Also, since I got a 512mb stick of PC2700 ages ago, it now seems out-dated and I see tons of people saying "GET AT LEAST PC3200." So it seems like a waste of money to buy another stick of 512mb PC2700 to use dual channel mode (IF my nForce 2 supports PC2700 in dual channel mode)... I feel like I'm stuck, and I don't want to pay $107 for a PC3200 2x 512mb dual channel kit.

I did read, however, that it is pointless to have memory that's faster than your CPU's FSB. I have an Athlon XP 2600, 2.1ghz, 333mhz FSB CPU, which matches perfectly with PC2700. But, what if I decide to upgrade my motherboard and CPU to an AMD 64 some other time and have to waste my PC2700 dual channel kit? I would HATE to do that after all of this trouble.

So, there you have it, I feel like I'm stuck because if I try any of those paths I feel like I'm ripping myself off. This is where I need your guy's input and help.

Thanks,

-icedog90

ice dog, first of all pc 2700 is going to work perfectly in dual channel as long as your chipset supports it, one thing it is really kinda slow to have a pc 2700, but if you want, you can oc your processor and memory to run at 200mhz, 400 ddr speed which is a 3200 and increase performance and bandwidth.

Okay, I just noticed that on my motherboard box in small text it says: "Dual channel DDR support DDR333/266 and higher."

However, on the front it says: "DDR Dual Channel 400."

I'm guessing the front was just for advertising, because the back says that PC2700 IS supported in dual channel mode... So that solves that question. The fact still remains about the rest, I'd like a lot more opinions please.

to be honest, dual channel with nforce2 is not worth worrying over. I would get a PC3200 stick, same manufacturer and close to the same model if possible.

You're right about the FSB and memory clock, and yes, using PC2700 will not be preferable with the A64 but it's not the end of the world either.

Know Nuttin said:
to be honest, dual channel with nforce2 is not worth worrying over. I would get a PC3200 stick, same manufacturer and close to the same model if possible.

You're right about the FSB and memory clock, and yes, using PC2700 will not be preferable with the A64 but it's not the end of the world either.

This is true. Although memory benchmarks will improve with dual channel, there is little real world performance difference. If you are just trying to get Dual channel, then I would pass on the upgrade. If you are trying to get better ram for the future, then I'd consider it. I was quite disappointed switching from single channel to dual channel because I saw little difference.

-Collin-

Thanks guys, that helps a lot...

So it would be more worth getting something like a Kingston 512mb PC3200 stick of memory (and not have dual channel mode) than getting another PC2700 512mb stick with dual channel mode?

That would actually be kind of good, since for whatever reason PC3200 costs just as much or a little less.

One more question though... If I got a PC3200 stick instead, would it automatically go in dual channel mode and cause problems? Would I have to deactivate it in the BIOS or something?

Would it be faster than having two PC2700 sticks in dual channel mode?

Back