• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I Want To Put A Smart Fan In My Psu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sean478

OK ILL GET RIGHT TO THE POINT I WANT TO PUT 2 SMART FANS IN MY THERMALTAKE 680W PSU CAUSE IT CAME WITH A BAD FAN THAT MAKES A ANOYING CLICKING SOUND AND THE PROBLEM IS THAT INSIDE THE PSU THE FAN CONECTORS ARNT THE SAME KIND THAT COME WITH A REGULAR SMART FAN SO THERE FORE I NEED TO SOLDER THE OLD CONNECTORS TO A SMART FAN

AND MY QUESTION IS HAS ANY ONE SOLDERED A SMART FAN AND WHERE U SUCESSFULL (GOT ANY TIPS ASWELL) I WANT TO TRY NOT TO DAMMAGE THE FAN AT ALL :temper:

Firstly, please avoid typing in all caps - it is particularly hard to read and rather annoying.

Secondly, the Smartfan should take a 12V and a ground connection? If so, soldering them to a connector which connects in to a 12V rail and a ground rail should work.

David said:
Firstly, please avoid typing in all caps - it is particularly hard to read and rather annoying.

Secondly, the Smartfan should take a 12V and a ground connection? If so, soldering them to a connector which connects in to a 12V rail and a ground rail should work.

sorry about the caps i didnt notice it untill it was already typed

but anyway the question im askng isnt how this would be done cause i already have a plan but if anyone has tips experence or sugestions that they can share before i atempt this cause the smart fans arnt cheep and neithier is my psu

i dont think the way u suggested would work for me cause i want the fan to run linear with the load therefore i must use the same conector as the stock fan

Last edited:
sean478 said:
sorry about the caps i didnt notice it untill it was already typed

but anyway the question im askng isnt how this would be done cause i already have a plan but if anyone has tips experence or sugestions that they can share before i atempt this cause the smart fans arnt cheep and neithier is my psu

i dont think the way u suggested would work for me cause i want the fan to run linear with the load therefore i must use the same conector as the stock fan

Does the smart fan use a sensor in the fan itself? Or is there a temperature sensor that comes with it so it varies its speed according to that?

if the fan has a built in temps sensor just tap a 12V line from one of the power lines entering the case, be sure the electrical connection is well insulated though, an electrical short inside your power supply would be very bad to say the least

Back