• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Three Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Timdog

First: My Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer's drivers randomly uninstall.
Second: Somtimes my services reset to their default configuration.
Third: I got spyware from Windows Update...

2) reinstall windows 10$
3) buy spyware removal software 30$
1) buy new audigy sound card 90$

put gun to head and shot urself... priceless

ROFL. Or how about this?

Install Gentoo Linux: Uh no price?

Knowing your OS is more secure than your previous one: PRICELESS.

(I am currently doing a stage1 install on my server and just got done compiling the kernel. :D)

or this,

Install gentoo linux=4 hours
Install hardware on gentoo=2 hours
Software thats compatible=3

knowing your hardware works on defualt generic drivers=priceless.

Not linux bashing just dont forget its not perfect either. Also there is no way you got spyware from a system update. (atleast not spyware that is actually considered harmfull)

Ok, problem three obviosly from something else. What about the others? The other two have happened even when I've formatted. I've tried different drivers for my Audigy. I can't really think of anything else to do. :/

AHAH! Found the Spyware problem. Somehow, I had an adservice installed. I don't know why the spyware was showing up as Windows Update entries in Ad-Aware....

Last edited:
I've had some versions of the M$ system file checker updater thingy (pretty technical, don't ya think?) so up as spyware.. My Father in law has also taken notice of this too.. you are not alone.

Lee

I was not saying dont go to gentoo, I would deffinatly atleast duel boot it.As for your problams kind of sounds like somehow a write protection program is on. Like deep freeze but a smaller version just in system files. As to what it would be I have no idea, maybe some sort of spyware monitering app.

I think the spyware you might be reffering to is Media Player 10. There is a funtion that if you have it enabled(it is by default) it will show up on some spyware progs as spyware. If I remember it correctly, it is in the options section on the privacy tab. I defineately would not have the bottom three enabled onthat tab.

Back