• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

difference between amd xp and amd 64?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kenshinx

Hi guys im new to this forum and just want to know what the difference is between amd xp and amd 64 cpus. I currently have the amd xp 2600+ cpu with the ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Motherboard. Im just wondering if the amd 64 cpus will work on this motherboard since most stores do not sell the amd xp cpus anymore for some reason and Im planning to upgrade my cpu. Are the amd xp cpus obsolete now? If they are im really ****ed off becuase I just bought my desktop setup like a few months ago. Thx for reading and help guys!

No AMD64 cpus will not work on your Asus. On the other hand, Athlons are still being made and sold at most online retailers, afaik. There are lots of differences between the two processors, the most obvious being that the Athlons are 32-bit and the AMD64s are, well, 64-bit.

Do you overclock your cpu?

Why would you like to upgrade your cpu?

AMD64 has more pins than AMD XP so they're not compatible with your current board. If you want to upgrade your cpu, AMD XP 3200+ is max you can find. Sempron is now replacing XP line and it's capable with your board: check to see if you need a bios update to recognize Sempron processors.

awwww crap....amd 64s sound so much better.....dammm i just wasted 300 bux a few months back when i could have spent the same money now on something way better. Also planning to ugprade because i think it may improve my gaming fps....also make my comp a lot smoother. Hey about the sempron cpus....can you tell between the performance of the amd 64 cpus? Because if im buying something now, id rather get something top of the line so i dont have to worry anymore and it seems like i just wasted money on the amd xp cpu.

Well the Semprons are basically suped-up Thoroughbred AXPs. Before you think about a new cpu (and mobo it looks like), what kind of video card do you have and how much memory and what kind?

So what does the 32 bit and 64 bit do for a computer system? In what areas of the system does it help ? CPU, memory, AGP (video), what ? I can't distinguish between my 32 bit AMD Athlon 2500+ running at 3200+ speed (~2.5) on a NF7-S mobo and my other system which is an AMD64 3400+ running at 2.4 on a MSI K8N Neo mobo. BTW, does anyone know why my ethernet lan DOES NOT WORK on this MSI K8N Neo mobo (bios version 1.5) ?

Off topic:

Nice oc fsbxtreme. My Nf7-S won't do anything over 240 though I haven't done the vdd mod. I have the same brand RAM that you do (though 2x512). Do you find your Patriot responds to voltage?

Right now I'm running 240x10.5 @ 2-3-3-6

going back on topic sry guys ^....umm ram i have 512 ddr kingston planning to buy another exact same one....video card i got 8500 ati radeon pro 128 mb...it may sound old but ive read reviews that its still like almost top 10...its better than all the 9000s except 9700 and 9800 i heard....so basically its just the cpu i think thats dragging down my fps thats why im planning to upgrade

There are 2 types of sempron, socket 754 and socket A. 754 = Athlon64 socket, so you would need a new motherboard, but they are not bad chips. The socket A ones on the other hand, are rated vs celerons, so Sempron 2800+ = XP 2400+ or something. Not a good buy for socket A.

The main difference between the Athlon XP and Athlon64 is the on die memory controller. With the XP's, the chip communicated with the northbridge, where the memory controller was, at 266, 333 or 400mhz. With the A64's, its right on the chip and that makes it considerably faster. They also have a few other enhancements such as SSE2, and now have a heatspreader so you don't chip the core. They also overclock a lot better(generaly).

As for 64bit... I have an A64 and am running 32bit windows, which means the extra registers are unused, and it is already an extremely fast chip.

kenshinx said:
going back on topic sry guys ^....umm ram i have 512 ddr kingston planning to buy another exact same one....video card i got 8500 ati radeon pro 128 mb...it may sound old but ive read reviews that its still like almost top 10...its better than all the 9000s except 9700 and 9800 i heard....so basically its just the cpu i think thats dragging down my fps thats why im planning to upgrade

512mb of what? PC3200? 2700? Athlon64's use pc3200 by default.

As far as video card, THAT is your problem if you play games. The radeon 8500 is several generations old. 8500 > 9600's > 9700's > 9800's > X700's > X800's > X850's. Some new games will run very choppy on that card, even at lowest settings. If anything, invest in a new video card and more ram, such as 2 512mb chips of PC3200 onbrand ram.

EDIT: Here are 2 links to compare your card by, I did not find one comparing your card to the new ones, but compare your card to the 9800xt, which is about the same speed as an x700pro, and then that to the new generation of chips.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-charts-03.html
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041222/vga_charts-03.html

thx for all the replies guy now for the decision...do you guys think it is worth it to buy a whole new motherboard + cpu for the amd 64 and hopefully sell my current ones half price or get the sempron cpu for my current motherboard......i just need someone to give me one final advice on the difference in performances and if it is easily recognizable...thx guys!

Whats your budget? I think you can live just fine with your current motherboard/cpu, what you need(if you play games that is) is a new video card and more ram.

a 2600 isn't that bad man is not ur problems for crappy fps, i have my new 3200 64 bit with dual channal coming from a p3 1.13 ghz i notice a huge difference in speed but i think urs is ur card, if you can you should overclock ur processor, and buy a better card like a 9800 or a 6600 gt

thx everyone, especially yuriman you've been a big help I didnt notice your posts until just now because it didnt update for some reason....anyways thx a lot ill take your advice and maybe just stay with this setup and get another 512 and save up for a vid card..thx

Back