• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UV LED's (do they work?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeViL_909

Ok guys, I am building a new system from scratch and I am debating on UV Leds or blue ones. The UV LEDs would produce an awsome effect, but my worry is that I have heard that they really don't do much to light up UV reactive things. They more or less just seem to glow purple and don't make things glow. I have some clear fans with UV LEDs in them and without my cathodes, nothing glows. Anyone had any experience or ideas about them?

I gotta say, I bought a couple "Blue" LEDs from Radio Shack a month ago to replace something ($5 each :eek: ). I went to fiddle with them and they were a very light blue, but still pleasing. I pointed one at an orange sticker in my case and the sucker lit up like UV...
If ya do a little research you can find the right light freq for the led you want, then buy 50 for $12 on ebay. I think the ones I had were more blue then they were perple, but yeah you could see it.

UV Led's

I have used them a couple of times trying to get the same effect; from what I have seen, they just don't do the trick and I end up switching to cathodes.

I have 3 of those led cannons for UV (purple) and they F*****G S**K.... :mad:
The other colors I have for them aren't much better.

I now use the SVC Super Bright cathodes (blue) and they actually react w/my UV Green psu sleeves. Killed 2 birds with one stone! :clap:

Actually guys they do work, none of you have done your homework! Incandescence happens in a very specific UV bandwidth. Ideally, to make things "glow" you need 253.7nm UV LEDs.

Not just any UV LED will work...

the UV LED's from radio shack will make uv reactive stuff glow big time i put them in an led flashlight i had and zomg was way more effect than a black light ;)

just realised this was necro'd ashuashuashua

Back