• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CDrom coming up as a Virtual Drive ; help !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeXenViRii

I dont know what is up with 'My Computer' but it reports a Creative 52x cdrom i have as a virtual drive. The drive works just fine , but honestly its just bugging me. At first i thought it was Alcohol 120% (virtual images and such) but after i uninstalled it it was still there. What do i do to make it normal again !! I have windows xp pro sp2 .

Attachments

• cdrom.PNG
    cdrom.PNG
    36.3 KB · Views: 71
I have exactly the same problem. At first I thought it was Daemon tools screwing up, but I don't think that's it.

Binny.

Tried removing it from device manager and letting windows redetect it and reinstall the drivers for it?

It is most likely your burning software. If you uninstall your burning proggy, the drive will disapear. During the reinstall you should be able to choose not to use a virtual drive. However, there will prolly be limited funtionality with no virtual drive. It's really HDD space.

David said:
Tried removing it from device manager and letting windows redetect it and reinstall the drivers for it?

Yes, i have tried that.

snafumaster said:
It is most likely your burning software. If you uninstall your burning proggy, the drive will disapear. During the reinstall you should be able to choose not to use a virtual drive. However, there will prolly be limited funtionality with no virtual drive. It's really HDD space.

NO, its really a cdrom drive ...

Well, I know with nero Image drive, it installs a driver to set up a virtual drive. Maybe Alcohol and Daemon tools is doing the same thing. program may get unistalled, but the driver is still there.

Not sure right now, I'm still looking into it. I'm not too sure what in the registry the program alters. Only thing thats comming to mind right now is to do a system restore to a point before you had installed the program. Or if you have a program running that keeps track of registry changes, (Spybot S&D teatimer does this) you could re-install the program and take note of what registry settings are being changed.

Looks to me like Nero Has a driver installed. You have listed there a DVD and a CD-RW. I doubt you have 3 CD/DVD drives in that box. This virtual drive MAY have been hidden before.

Z

Zuzzz said:
Looks to me like Nero Has a driver installed. You have listed there a DVD and a CD-RW. I doubt you have 3 CD/DVD drives in that box. This virtual drive MAY have been hidden before.

Z

Sigh, whats wrong with you people ? I really, really, REALLY, have 3 cd drives ...

... here I even made a picture .

22arkj

HeXenViRii said:
Sigh, whats wrong with you people ? I really, really, REALLY, have 3 cd drives ...

... here I even made a picture .

hahaha, nice post. glad you figured it out. seems those virtual drives can be a bear to deal with (even if there really is a drive they're blocking).

jajmon said:
What do you use 3 opticals for? just curious. could see getting rid of the cd-rom and keeping the rw's.

Excellent question. I 'took care' of the aluminum blanks in a horrible modding disaster. I used cdroms to fill the rest of the holes.

Back