Forum Jump

Bass for free!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 09-24-01, 05:06 PM Thread Starter   #1
JigPu
Inactive Pokémon Moderator

10 Year Badge

Lightbulb Bass for free!

I was messing around with the computer yesterday, and suddenly a revalation happened upon me. If I turned my speakers around to play into the cabinets they were in, I could get better bass! After playing with the speakers for a while, I finally found a spot that gave me more bass, and kept the high frequencies decently well.

This is a suggestion for those of you out there who still have the speakers that came with the computer (like me), and want more bass out of them. You have to be carefull though, if you move them in some spots, you will loose most of your high frequencies.... And then vocals sound terible.

I'll attach a diagram of my computer desk to show you all how I made it work...
BOOM...BOOM...BASS...
JigPu

.... G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage ............. 8 GiB ..... 1600 MHz ............ 1.25 V
.... OCZ Vertex 3 ................................. 120 GB ............. nilfs2 ..... Arch Linux
.... Kingwin LZP-550 .............................. 550 W ........ 94% Eff. ....... 80+ Plat
.... Nocuta NH-D14 ................................ 20 dB ..... 0.35 C°/W ................ 7 V

"In order to combat power supply concerns, Nvidia has declared that G80 will be the first graphics card in the world to run entirely off of the souls of dead babies. This will make running the G80 much cheaper for the average end user."
"GeForce 8 Series." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. 7 Aug 2006, 20:59 UTC. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. 8 Aug 2006.
JigPu is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-24-01, 09:30 PM   #2
Zuck Gou :)

Jig, go get a woofer
Zuck Gou :) is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-24-01, 10:41 PM Thread Starter   #3
JigPu

10 Year Badge

Me too cheap for that If I'm going for monster sound, I'll buy some cabiling and hook it up to the surround sound reciever we have. 100 watts of power is way more than enough to make the neighbors mad. All I'm missing is a subwoofer for major rumblage.

JigPu

.... G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage ............. 8 GiB ..... 1600 MHz ............ 1.25 V
.... OCZ Vertex 3 ................................. 120 GB ............. nilfs2 ..... Arch Linux
.... Kingwin LZP-550 .............................. 550 W ........ 94% Eff. ....... 80+ Plat
.... Nocuta NH-D14 ................................ 20 dB ..... 0.35 C°/W ................ 7 V

"In order to combat power supply concerns, Nvidia has declared that G80 will be the first graphics card in the world to run entirely off of the souls of dead babies. This will make running the G80 much cheaper for the average end user."
"GeForce 8 Series." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. 7 Aug 2006, 20:59 UTC. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. 8 Aug 2006.
Old 09-25-01, 12:36 AM   #4
Zuck Gou :)

Hehe thats what I have running on my game machine.

Got 8 speakers surrounding me of all different shapes and sizes. Never knew that reciever from the 80's would prove useful once again.
Zuck Gou :) is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-25-01, 12:38 AM   #5
Monaco

Want to turn your house into a techno club? Take your home stereo speakers and aim them into a corner of the room, maybe 2 foot from the wall. Crank volume and stand back!

Yeah it sounds like butt, but- oh my that's bass!
Monaco is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-25-01, 05:17 AM   #6
RedDeathDrinker
Senior Aircraftsman IRL

Why lose anything? Before I got my Live! surround card, woofer and satelite speakers, my SB128 card went straight into my JVC HiFi, which was plenty loud and bassy, without losing the treble.........

RedDeathDrinker is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-25-01, 12:24 PM   #7
Ebola
Senior Toilet Scrubber

10 Year Badge

i have a 180 watt velodyne sub sitting behind me

Old 09-25-01, 12:49 PM   #8
eobard
Give me a break Senior

10 Year Badge

Sennheiser headphones! The sound. I've owned many a speaker and many a headphone but nothing sounds purer. A friend of mine makes car speaker boxes but nothing he's made has ever sounded better than my Sennheiser headphones. I got my Sennheiser headphones in 1988, two sets, one speaker element blew in one last year but the other is still going strong. How many headphones can preform flawlessly for 13 years? Any other headphones I've had have crapped out after a year or two. I recommend them to all.

Old 09-25-01, 04:51 PM Thread Starter   #9
JigPu

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally posted by reddeathdrinker
Why lose anything? Before I got my Live! surround card, woofer and satelite speakers, my SB128 card went straight into my JVC HiFi, which was plenty loud and bassy, without losing the treble.........
Only problem here is that the computer is about 30 or so feet away from the reciever.... Besides, Dad would go insane with all the cabling all over the floor .

It isn't too bad a sacrifice... If I DO ever want more treble, Winamp allways has the EQ to shore it up! MAN I LOVE EQs!!

JigPu

Old 09-25-01, 05:10 PM   #10
breadman

Quote:
Originally posted by eobard
Sennheiser headphones! The sound. I've owned many a speaker and many a headphone but nothing sounds purer. A friend of mine makes car speaker boxes but nothing he's made has ever sounded better than my Sennheiser headphones. I got my Sennheiser headphones in 1988, two sets, one speaker element blew in one last year but the other is still going strong. How many headphones can preform flawlessly for 13 years? Any other headphones I've had have crapped out after a year or two. I recommend them to all.
amen brother! i use my klipsch 4.2's whenever my roommate is gone, but when hes in here i slip on my sweeeeeet sennheiser headfones. best set of cans ever
breadman is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-25-01, 06:13 PM   #11
Monaco

Quote:
i have a 180 watt velodyne sub sitting behind me
YEAH! Now that's the stuff. usually when I talk about my subs I get blank looks. "Duh, what a Velodyne?"

I have a couple of older 1500s in the studio. When you can't hear it, but you can feel it, you know you're doing it right!
Monaco is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-25-01, 08:14 PM   #12
Kingslayer

Ok, now tell me how to get more mid-range.....

Midrange...the bane of computer speakers.

Proud member of the XDC
Kingslayer is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-25-01, 10:55 PM   #13
AmbientFiction
Senior Folding Zombie

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally posted by JigPu
Me too cheap for that If I'm going for monster sound, I'll buy some cabiling and hook it up to the surround sound reciever we have. 100 watts of power is way more than enough to make the neighbors mad. All I'm missing is a subwoofer for major rumblage.

JigPu

Yea hook that up and play something like Q3A and start going on a fragging spree then your neighbors will really love you.

*NIXON!![/SIZE]Folding 24/7. Folding CPUs till they bleed!!!

Heatware

AmbientFiction is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-26-01, 12:26 PM   #14
lonewolf1983

atm im running my pc into a sansui amp that is a few years old,but cranks
min 80w RMS x2 at 0.005% THD

this is going into a pair of floor standing Studio Acoustics tower speakers (3 ways,2 6" drivers and a 1" tweeter each.120w power handling each) and a pair of yamaha flat panel rear effect speakers (40w each).
soon to be adding a subwoofer,even though this system puts out enough bass to send the people watching the richter scale batty

lonewolf1983 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-26-01, 05:15 PM Thread Starter   #15
JigPu

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally posted by AmbientFiction

Yea hook that up and play something like Q3A and start going on a fragging spree then your neighbors will really love you.
Too bad I don't have any really new games.... I'd just love to hook them up to the reciever after school when no one is home, and everyone is at work... If I could get descent frame rates in Descent 3, I'd be all over making my house sound like it's exploding! Guess Descent 1 will have to do....

JigPu

Old 09-26-01, 10:21 PM   #16
Ebola
Senior Toilet Scrubber

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingslayer
Ok, now tell me how to get more mid-range.....

Midrange...the bane of computer speakers.
midrange would be my set of boston cr8 speakers sitting infront of me.

Old 09-27-01, 01:40 PM   #17
Wega!

10 Year Badge

Exclamation

I have no neighbors anymore! I have a Cerwin Vega ( DX-5 with a 12" bass unit, 4" cone unit and a 1" dome) in two of the corners in my room, and a Jamo sub/sat system with 2x8" woofers, and two satelite speakers for the mid- and high frequency's. And I just LOVE to play my music loud

All this is hooked up with my Fortissimo 2 Sound card. A game like UT is more fun to play with such sound!

You say Justin Bieber, I say Armin Van Buuren
You say Taylor Swift, I say Dj Tiësto

In Trance we trust!

Benching mayhem: Asus Rampage Extreme, Gigabyte Ep45 UD3P, QX9650, Q9550, E6300, 4x Cedar Mill's, Corsair Dominators 2000Mhz 8-9-8-24, Crucial Ballistix DDR2, Asus GTX480, XFX GTX260, Inno 8800GTX, Zotac 8800GT, Piotres CPU pot, EK Supreme HF, MCW60 Mo-Ra 3 Pro, Ek DC 4.0 and a Corsair TX750
Daily driver: Asus P5Q Pro, Q8400, OCZ PC8000, GTX460, Enzotech Sapphire, EK GTX460 full block, XSPC res/pump and a HWLabs GTX480.
Wega! is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-28-01, 12:31 AM   #18
supraway

Yeah, Sennheiser headphones are great, but for less $$$ you can get the Grado SR-80's for around $100. They are awsome.
supraway is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-28-01, 01:57 AM   #19
The Overclocker

who needs more bass? i have warfedales. BOOM BOOM
The Overclocker is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Video Cards > General GPU
General GPU