• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stabilizing my NF7-S

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tebore

My NF7-S used to run (2x512) OCZ Premier @ 233mhz, 2.5,2,2,11,2T at 2.7v @1.7VDD just fine with the processor at 2.563 (11x233) 100% stable. I recently got some (2x512) CH5 and I can't get it stablize.

I'm using 2,3,2,11, 1T, 2.9v,1.7VDD@ 220mhz and I just can't get this thing to stabilize. I have the CPU at 11.5x220. I know the CPU is 100% at this speed and the RAM clears memtest (test 1-12) looping for 24 hours. Yet 3DMark 2001 crashes and same with certain programs.

This has me scratching my head.

Last edited:
Do you have your video card over clocked at all? Even though your memory and CPU test out your video card could be faulting out.

Also make sure you have your dividers set right. If your AGP or PCI bus is running to high any of those compnents might fault out. Give me some more details about your rig and all your settings and I can help you out more.

IrQ said:
Do you have your video card over clocked at all? Even though your memory and CPU test out your video card could be faulting out.

Also make sure you have your dividers set right. If your AGP or PCI bus is running to high any of those compnents might fault out. Give me some more details about your rig and all your settings and I can help you out more.

The card isn't overclocked at all. Except for the Pro to XT flash which was 100% for as long as I can remember. The AGP/PCI bus is locked at 67mhz. The RAM/FSB is running Sync. All the other info in my Sig.

cack01 said:
PCI should be locked automatically. Have you tried to putting the old memory back and see if stability returns?

Yeh if I got back to the old CPC off BIOS and old RAM it's just fine and dandy.

I'm looking for someway to stabilize the system with the new RAM. It's really strange that the RAM would clear memtest. I even backed the CPU down to 6x220 and it still screws up.

Try lowering the bus speed of the ram.... I know it's stable but try it and see if it will run stable then. I might be able to help you more past that if I know that works.

IrQ said:
Try lowering the bus speed of the ram.... I know it's stable but try it and see if it will run stable then. I might be able to help you more past that if I know that works.

It's stable at 217. It's just really strange that no actual diagnostic test can tell me where the weakness is. It's somewhere chipset and RAM related, that's the only conclusion I can draw.

Highlander said:
Tried running a CPC off bios with this new mem?
Also what vdimm are you running?

2.9 VDIMM. I wanna hang on to CPC On. I have tried a CPC Off but it doesn't allow me anywhere near what I used to run, I picked up CH5 knowing that it can do ~220 CPC On with Low timings. But this instability is really ticking me off.

I should mention I have the L12 mod done, and the D27 Taipan 0.3 CPC On.

Highlander said:
Ok, try running a cas of 2.5 and see if that helps things at all

Running 2,3,3,11 Stabilizes it but I take quite a hit on bandwidth and in Benchmarks not to mention games aren't as smooth.

I'm still scratching my head at how it can pass memtest but cause problems. There's gotta be something about overclocking CH5 I don't know about.

Hrm, mine (2*256) needed ~ 3v to run 2.5,2,2,x @ 230, it's been a pita though, really hated the NF7... even running 3.2 up its *** it still didnt play ball with CPC on...
Try running cas 2.5 and trcd of 2, see if that helps. The performance hit shouldnt be as bad as 2,3,3,x

Highlander said:
Hrm, mine (2*256) needed ~ 3v to run 2.5,2,2,x @ 230, it's been a pita though, really hated the NF7... even running 3.2 up its *** it still didnt play ball with CPC on...
Try running cas 2.5 and trcd of 2, see if that helps. The performance hit shouldnt be as bad as 2,3,3,x

That's something I wanted to hear. That more Voltage would help. I tried to pick up a DDR Booster on the weekend but It was sold out everywhere. I'm gonna try my luck again. Maybe 3.2volts will cure what ales it. Once I get it I'll report back. I guess for now I'll be running 11.5x 217.

Well I got my DDR Booster today at an Amazing ~$60us price. :mad:

Anyway I got my CH5 running at 2,3,2,11 at 233 again. 100% Stable.
Took me 3.2 Volts to do it but good enough. I would pump 3.4 in to them but I hear some CH5 die from it.

My NF7-S seems to track VTT all the way up to ~3.5volts. I'd say the upper limit is 3.4 since sometimes in Memtest it does error at 3.5.

So I'm running 1T, 2,3,2,11 @3.2V (11x233), I was worried the DDR Booster wouldn't do anything. Good stuff so far, I'll play with it some more when I get time.

Back