• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A good SpaceShip Game??? ( is there one? )

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DerekDRP

Disabled
right now i am playing kotor 1 and i still love it..... ( starwars galxies jtl was good but needs $15 i rather speend that on hookers or what not ).... so is there a good space hip game out there? ( OLD OR NEW 0 I DUN CARE .... )

ok must have some of thease elements

1.able to see the ship in 3rd person
2.walk around in ship ( optional )
3.must have descent gfx
4.could possible kill your buddys with ( not mech worriers stuff pleaase )

Freelancer(Also has multiplayer), Homeworld, and there is a Star Trek game out there where you can actually view the battles from the captains seet of the ships, but I forgot its name.

Last edited:
FREESPACE 2 all the way, and Decent

x2 is pretty cool if you have lot and lots and lots of patiance, + it has a pretty steep learning curve + no multiplayer

stay far away from universal combat!

it seems pretty cool at first as you get that captian's seat view... and you can do thousands of things just inside your ship like dispatch certian crew to different parts of your ship and you can clone people if they die and you can specify what part of the ship you want fixed also the universe is huge so huge in fact that you will be spending a half-hour at a time warping from planet to planet with nothing to do...Yes that's planet to planet! from earth to pluto it takes about an hour. the rest of the game is complete junk... the ships movement is so crappy that in a battle it's better to have the autopilot fly directly to the ship you want to attack and you blast it while your flying to it... there's an array of misseles to launch and you can launch fighters and shuttles but good luck getting them prepared as you have to manually assign engenneers to get them ready and manually stock them with weapons (this is not fun when you want to launch 8 fighters!!!) there's so many things that can be done in this game but finding them is such a problem as if there's a space station on the other side of the planet... you will have to fly all the way around to get there which could take 3 hours...(and don't get me started on how difficult it is to get the autopilot to orbit a planet)... whenever you come acrossed an enmey it usually comes down to eigther you are going to kill him in 5 seconds or he is going to kill you in 5 seconds... seeing how it takes over 6 hours to get to certian systems this can be ultimatelly disappointing to get blown away in less than 10 seconds after navagating for 6 hours...

also (one of the most frustrating) once you start warping to a system or planet you can't abort and turn around or even change course.. you can't even stop until you reach a destination.... and to engage warp you must be more than an hour away in impulse travel time...

I think this game would have been really great if there was a FAST FORWARD BUTTON or something also the ability to warp at anytime for any distance at any speed would be really nice.. also the combat system is confusing...

there are 7 ships in the area... you bring up the list of ships... the list looks like this...

enemya0017
enemya0045
enemya0011
enemyc1101
enmeyc1100
enmeyc0022
enmeyg3284

now one of them is attacking you but which one is it? you got a 1 in 7 chance of picking the right one!

after about 4 days the game went into the trash can...

stay away from this game! i give it a 3 out of 10

Like I have recommended in multiple threads, check out the new privateer remake. Graphics are a little sub par but the game is for free :) . Check it out here

Freelancer was made in 1999, or 2000. It's gorgeous! It was my first and only Space-flying game. There are plenty of mods around, there used to be a very elaborate Star-wars / Star-trek Ship mod. The models are very detailed. Installing weapons actually shows the new weapons on your ship. Gameplay is tremendous, it's a long game with plenty of places to explore. Rare items float in the depths of space in wreckages. There are worm-holes and planets to land on. But you can't walk around (control the human aspect). You can be a merchant, a pirate, or a guardian of the galaxy. I've been meaning to re-install this.

dartor said:
Sorry this is a bit of a hijack. There was a space game that required you to download the source and compile it. It was free and kinda the same deal as freelancer. Open ended do what you feel kinda game.

Anybody remember what that was?

I think you are talking about Vegastrike. The latest versions are CVS and need to be compiled (cross platform thankfully). You can also download a precompiled binary for mac/windows/linux.

http://Vegastrike.sourceforge.net

I think you are talking about Vegastrike. The latest versions are CVS and need to be compiled (cross platform thankfully). You can also download a precompiled binary for mac/windows/linux.

That looks interesting but I don't think thats the one. I seem to recall that it was on the microsoft side. I looked but didn't see anything. Maybe I'm going crazy. I also recall it was about 500meg and there was no precompiled binaries. :eh?: :-/

Back