• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do I perform a leak test?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlanD911

Hey guys I was wondering how would I perform a complete leaktest on my new loop before I install it. I want to test my loop alot since it's going to be cooling an expensive bit of hardware. I have this loop
Corsair COOL 939 socket kit
IMG_0150.jpg
IMG_0190.jpg

fill it up and let it run. check for drips. you could also read the directions (im sure there are some in there).

nice looking kit, i wonder how much it would have cost from swiftech.

i would put colored construction paper or newspaper at potential leak points cause even if it leaks and dries u can still see it in the paper. im really interested in how that kit performs, please let us know.

take liquid dish washing soap and put it ALL points that it could possibly leak at ( OUTSIDE the system NOT inside ).
after you let the dish soap settle at the edges into the cracks ( there will be a tiny amount of space between tube and barb no matter what but it may only go in a hairs width) turn on the system and let it run for 24 hours on top of spread out paper towels and check on the paper towels every few minutes for hte first hour and then periodicaly. also after the first hour the dish soap should be dry

if it is not dry make sure you see no bubbles of any kind at any potential leak point.

IF you see bubbles then check your seals .

oh wow so I just take liquid dish soap and pour some around the seals for the block/radiator/res/pump and then put it in a cardboard box then let it run and look for bubbles n leaks? SOUNDS GOOD how long would you recommend me do this for?im going to leak test it for around 5 hours or so or maybe overnight lol.

I will post the results of this overclock in my journal here's a link to it.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=369754&highlight=noob+elite

Also I will show pics of the leaktest in progress and everything

cool should i also put it in a bucket or something? Also will i have to pull out a line to the resevoir in order to fill it? I might wait until I buy a 120mm fan shroud UV style and UV dye to install everything tho

I use UV dye, and run the loop under UV light. Large leaks show up fast. Small leaks will show up usually after running for a couple hours.

thorilan said:
take liquid dish washing soap and put it ALL points that it could possibly leak at ( OUTSIDE the system NOT inside ).
after you let the dish soap settle at the edges into the cracks ( there will be a tiny amount of space between tube and barb no matter what but it may only go in a hairs width) turn on the system and let it run for 24 hours on top of spread out paper towels and check on the paper towels every few minutes for hte first hour and then periodicaly. also after the first hour the dish soap should be dry

if it is not dry make sure you see no bubbles of any kind at any potential leak point.

IF you see bubbles then check your seals .

Ok I copied your method and am currently leak testing things check it out

IMG_0198.jpg
IMG_0197.jpg
IMG_0199.jpg

Here's a pic on how to run an atx powersupply without it being connected to the motherboard. All you do is just take a paperclip stretch it out and ground off the green wire to any black wire on the IDE cable check it out
IMG_0202.jpg

Last edited:
Back