• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help Setting FTP Server!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rumrunner

Fellas,

I'm trying to setup my own ftp site via Filezilla server. I want to use my own computer as the server.

Let me see if I have this right...

-Filezilla server is the application that sets up my server setting and allows users to connect right?

-Filezilla is just an application used to connect to other FTP sties right?

So, if I wanted to use my pc as a server, then how do I configure filezilla server? I tried putting my IP address in the host bar and tried to connect, but that didn't work. I'm really confused here, I have no experience with this.

Filezilla server has no tutorial!

Any help pls,

Rob

Basically, you need to install Filezilla server and make sure that the Filezilla service on your PC is started. Then, make yourself a username and password in the Users section of the Filezilla interface. Give it a password, then in the Shared Folders section of the Users area, point to the folder you want to give access to, and check off the appropriate permissions.

Next, install the Filezilla client on your client computer. Go to File - Site Manager, create a new site, give it the server IP address, and your username/password, and connect with it. There shouldn't be any special configuration on either end that you need to do.

Now, if you have the server inside a router/firewall and you want to connect from outside the router/firewall, you need to set up address translation, or at least port forwarding in your router/firewall.

Thanks for quick reply! What do you mean exactly when you say that Filezilla service on my pc has to be started?

Well, when you install the Filezilla Server, it should place a Service in Start - Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services. That's what keeps the server running when you aren't logged in or don't have the interface up.

The service part will be automatic, just install and that will be taken care of - it might prompt you to ask if you want to start the service now, or it might require a restart.

Once you have finished the installation, what you need to do is add user accounts - create a usernames for people to use, and passwords.

Then you also need to add directories which will be available to people once they log in to your FTP. You will select the directories you want to make available on FTP and select the rights which logged in users will have on those directories - read (download), write (upload), list (view available files).

If you are behind a router firewall, you will also need to setup port forwarding so that the FTP request gets to your PC on your network. You will need to enter http://192.168.2.1 into your browser address bar, which will allow you to login to the router. Within here there will be an option for port forwarding, where you select a name for the entry, and the port which is to be forwarded (21), then the network IP of the machine the request should be forwarded to - something like 192.168.2.2 for example. Then for someone to connect to you, they will use your IP - 66.123.211.11 on port 21, and that request will hit your router, and because of the port forwarding, the router will know to send that request to your local IP of 192.168.2.2. They will then be prompted to use the username and password you gave them to log in.

For specific instructions on how to setup port forwarding on your router, you will need to tell me the make of your router, and the model number. You can also catch me on AIM right now, I'm not too busy so I could probably help you figure this out step by step if you needed the assistance, or test to see if I can login alright.

Ok, got that part. What do I have to do to make my data available now? I opened up my client, and connected to my server...but for some reason, I can't make any data available to share.

Attachments

• filezilla.JPG
    filezilla.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 81
You need to have the server open to define your shares - this should be done through the options menu. This does not require you to enter any IP or port information at this step. I would get more specific, but I use bulletproof server for my FTP needs.

If you are connected to your server with the client, you will not be able to define shares, you need to have the server application open to configure its settings... Judging by how you have the IP and port information there, I would expect that you are in teh wrong application.

Also keep in mind that just because you can connect to it on your own PC, that does not mean anyone outside your network can connect to it. I would be happy to test that for you if you like. Obviously no one here is going to attack your FTP, especially not someone who's part of staff... Sam would hand me my *** in a basket. ;)

Yup, as IMOG said, that's the wrong app to be in. You are looking at the client app at the moment.

I can't see what the screenshot says, so it's hard to say what you need to do next, but my guess would be that your username is not associate with a home directory.

In the Server interface, open up the User dialog and click on your user name. In the left hand pane, there should be 4 options. The second one down should be something like Shared Folders. Click on that, and in the middle pane you need to Add a home directory for your user name. It should be the directory that you want to share files from.

Get that piece in, and you should be ready to go.

Ok, I found what you were talking about. So what exactly do I do in here?

How do I test to see if it works? Can I just use my client to connect to myself?

Thanks for your time BTW.

Attachments

• untitled.PNG
    untitled.PNG
    26.7 KB · Views: 76
You will need someone from outside your network to test it to ensure it is working.

You should highlight the directory you have added, then on the right you can select the file and directory rights available. You probably will want to make sure they don't have the ability to delete anything.

This is why I mentioned that I would test if you needed it.

Back