• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Holy mother of GIANT heatsinks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flip-Mode

I think they have finally gone made....
You need a construction license to mount this mutt
This is a ThermalTake SonicTower.

onMBenlarged.jpg

Don't know if this has been posted before, if it was I'm sorry.

Isn't Silence AMAZING

Yeah the thing is massive ,silence never looked soo Big.I don't know if there is a case big enough to mount that thing in :shrug: .

MassRaptor

Thermaltake Fanboy: WOW look at that heatsink! It KILLS your cheap XP-90/Delta combo! WITHOUT A FAN!!
ThermalRight Fanboy: Pschhh
TTFB: Yeah, THATS RIGHT!
::crrrack::
TRFB: haha, what was that?
TTFB: Nothing important... Still this Sonic Tower BEATS your XP-90!! LOOK AT THAT SIZE!!
TRFB: Try putting the side panel on :/
TTFB: Fine!
::thud::
TRFB: Erm...
::CRASH BIFF BOOM::
TTFB: NOOO MY COMPUTER!!

haha, just had to

now put a 120mm fan on each side. One set pulling through the space between, and another pushing through the fins! TT sure does seem to think bigger=better. I thought my TT SilenTower was huge!

not on the socket, on that single screw at the top (when placed vertically in a case). poor mobo

If it were copper I would be more worried but aluminum is really quite a bit lighter for this application. I think it would make a fine heatsink for anyone.

still, its REALLY high profile... it doesn't look like it'll fit in a normal case, going off size comparison, contrasted to the mobo... it definately would hit my acrylic...

anyway, there were like, 3 threads on this before, right?

I think that this Silent Tower is rather meant to work with the most powerful 120x25mm fan you can find and put between these 2 parts.

Aluminum is light (if I remember 2.7g/cm^3 compared with 8.9g/cm^3 of copper), but lots of aluminum weight too. Also notice, that it's tower design, so it's not only pure weight, but pretty much torque too. Can you remind yourselves a review of Aerocool 101, where socket popped off motherboard?

Additional mounting, when mobo is placed vertically, is a must.

If you want it silent, that cooler might be good, when used with some silent 120mm fan, like GlacialTech or perhaps Nexus.

I was looking at this the other day and was wondering if it would fit in some of the cases that are sold. I think the picture makes it look extra large, but it sure is big. A very low CFM 120mm fan in the middle would help dissapate heat and not add any significant noise. Great for silent PC, but I doubt not so great for OCing.

it said to have a push-pull config where you put one fan on one tower, and one on the other... or was that the silentower?

Good God, thats a big mother. How much does it cost? Looks like a cable routing nightmare to me. It has the "Wow" factor, but how does it perform? Also, for those worried about the ZIF socket popping off...don't you think TT tested it before they put it on the market. I doubt they would sell it if it breaks your MB when you install it.

You can't use a case for something that size! Just leave your motherboard out in the open.

It looks like it can almost snap your mother board, that looks like it would put alot of stress on the bottom part (part mounted at the bottom), almost bend it?
i bet you would have to by a mount for it or something.

Back