• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S and DDR Booster

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matttheniceguy

I have 2*512 mb hyperX pc3200 with BH-5 chips on the way, and I was thinking it could probably use some voltage.

I have an older NF7-S. My options seem to be a Vdimm mod, or a DDR booster. I have read of people having trouble with the vtt not scaling properly with the booster or a mod, not allowing them to go beyond 3.1 or so. I have also seen a lot of people with boosters and no problems at 3.4.

Right now I'm not sure which is better, a vdimm mod (probably something to give 3.3 volts or so) or a DDR booster.

Any advice from people who have done a vdimm mod or used a ddr booster on an nf7 would be appreciated.

Well, here is my limited exp. with a booster..
Just got one and installed it yesterday. Figured I'd get quite a bit higher than the 241 error free in memtest @ 2.9 witch was my previous high.

Turns out after a lot of experimenting, that I can now do 244 eroor free @ 2.7v with the booster.

I don't understand it, perhaps it has to do with the booster regulating the voltage more evenly? IDK

I also have nf7-s ver2,
Watch the caps next to your dimm slot when you put the booster in. The HS o it hits the top of one. You may need to push the HS up a bit(careful not to rip off mosfets) to make it clear.

Installed one today, I got my CH5 running 2,3,2,11 at 233. I've tested it all the way up to 3.5 volts in BIOS and it was tracking VTT just fine. So it should track up to 3.4 on most older boards.

yea, I have read that you can fit it in the first slot allowing you to run in dual channel if you mod the heatsink a bit. Do you happen to know if your Vtt tracks with the Vdimm properly? I will be looking for 3.3-3.4 volts, and from what I have read the Vtt tends to stop tracking above 3 or 3.1.

I have been looking at the Vio = Vdimm mod, and I think that is what I will do. Apparently when you do this mod (connecting the Vdimm straight to the 3.3 line of the psu) the vtt tracks fine. Anyone done this to their NF7? Only thing I have to worry about with this mod is giving too much voltage. According to monitoring softwear my 3.3 line varies from 3.38 to 3.46, and I'm not sure I want to put Quite that much voltage through my BH-5. Maby I will have to figure out how to adjust the rails on my psu first.

edit: tebore, that's sweet... maby I will get a booster then. Where is the best place to get one if your in Canada?

matttheniceguy said:
yea, I have read that you can fit it in the first slot allowing you to run in dual channel if you mod the heatsink a bit. Do you happen to know if your Vtt tracks with the Vdimm properly? I will be looking for 3.3-3.4 volts, and from what I have read the Vtt tends to stop tracking above 3 or 3.1.

I have been looking at the Vio = Vdimm mod, and I think that is what I will do. Apparently when you do this mod (connecting the Vdimm straight to the 3.3 line of the psu) the vtt tracks fine. Anyone done this to their NF7? Only thing I have to worry about with this mod is giving too much voltage. According to monitoring softwear my 3.3 line varies from 3.38 to 3.46, and I'm not sure I want to put Quite that much voltage through my BH-5. Maby I will have to figure out how to adjust the rails on my psu first.

edit: tebore, that's sweet... maby I will get a booster then. Where is the best place to get one if your in Canada?

I live it Toronto, and had to get one from Bigfootcomputers. All the other places were sold out. Bigfoot is a bit more than the other places but it was close to my school.

My VTT seems to track to the upper end of 3.4volts. I said to hell with it tried 3.5 and it was tracking, but sometimes it was erroring out. Meaning the upper limit is about 3.4v. I don't know what exactly is happening maybe the VTT MOSFET was overheating or something.

Back