• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lcd Calibration X_X?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valk

I just got myself my first lcd monitor ever. I was originally holding out untill the 8ms 915N that just came out but after doing some more reading on specs and such, i decided to save myself $200 and just get a nice 17" panel instead.

So, off to compusmart i go, not wanting to buy anything.. just look. there were a lot of benq models on their wall o displays and a few nice sammy's, but one, in the corner, attached to a e-machines caught my attention almost immediatly.
I was always told "get a 710N, you wont regret it". so looking for a monitor with similar stats to the 710, i stumbled upon this 712N which boasts the same stats.
12ms response time, 600:1 contrast ration, 0.264 pitch and 300cd/m2...
beautiful.. $399 cdn? zomg. so yea, I walked out of the store with it.

So, to end that banter that was unnessiary, I love this thing. its so crisp and clean. I kinda wish i HAD gone for a dvi, but i doubt i could see that difference.

first thing i did was place my two monitors together, side by side, and tested dual monitors on my 9800. this thing is 3 times as bright as my crt, and even with the brightness set to 60 its still twice as bright.
This kind of leads me to post here for some tips on calibrating these things because it almost TOO bright to look at for any amount of time.
I have it set to 60 brightness and 70 contrast. this is perfect for windows use. all web pages look consistant *brighter* to my crt and stuff, but i get into games and everything is retardedly dark. similary for divx video play back.
i adjust it up to 70/80 and games are sweet. but going back to windows blinds me hardcore.
also, text can be a little distorted at times. like, when i play ro, it just uses the system font, but character names and stuff can be distorted. the text showing my characters level, experience will be doubled over somtimes, or super thin, or blury in spots but clear in others.
ro1.jpg

im running in native resolution of 1280x1024. it is teh weird.

bleh. maybe im just a ***** ha ha. ill adapt? not that brightness is a bad thing but man. .. just wasnt expect how bright.
I want to get another one now for dual.. but then again, i have another problem, trying to make my tablet work properly when i use two monitors..

When i first got my LCD, it was WAY brighter than my 19" Trinitron. Even with the brightness n such turned down, it was alot brighter. Eventually though I guess, i got used to it, 'cause I don't notice it anymore. Except for when I'm watching a dvd or playing a game in a dark room.

Another way to adjust it, is if you go in your vid cards adjustment screen, you can adjust gamma, brightness, contrast, etc from there too. I know nVidia cards have this feature, dunno about ATI, but they should.

so i just get to get used to the swirliness for a few days i guess ha ha. Im totally not complaining. i just wish i had waited a few days to order a 710T online. but then again, you really need to see a monitor to belive it. I wish i got a bigger one too, but ill just offset that with more displays.... once i get my damn tablet to not phuc up.

I tried to use my drawing tablet with two monitors installed using hydravision. it was nessiary to run that to get things working right. i tested by running a windowed game on the lcd and a full screen divx movie on the other one. it kinda... raped fps in both apps but it worked, not before hydravision. but i didnt htink, untill this morning, to test out my drawing tablet in open canvas. so i get it all setup *i leave my crt ont he couch right now, since my mom is getting it tommorrow* and bam, easy. but i start dragging tools over to the other monitor, maximize open canvas with a 1280x1024 workspace *sheads a tear, its usually like... 600x400 or somthing stupid with all toolpanels* and yea... half my tablet doesnt work, or, its margin has been changed.. i cant even go over to the other display with it unless i alt out of open canvas, or click out of it.
bleh. issues to resolve that no one cares about but yea. ill get used to it i guess.

Back