• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLI Power Supply

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enigma422

I am considering the SLI route for my next upgrade, but have a question regarding my PSU that will either make or break this upgrade choice. I am running a Fortron BlueStorm 500W PSU. Will this be able to run the following:

Overclocked AMD Athlon64 3200+
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI
2x 6800GT graphics cards overclocked
DVDRW
CDRW
2x 74GB Raptors RAID 0
4 CC UV lights
2 80mm fans
5x 120mm fans
iPod on Firewire port

Thanks.

Last edited:
It possibly could... but it would be a terrible strain on the PSU. Go ahead and get all that... but add in a 2nd PSU (a light one... maybe a 300Watt)... to run your Video Cards by themselves. 2 6800GT's eat up nearly 250-300 Watts of Power... EASY

I would take no chances, either go for the dual psu action, or get an enormous psu. Thost parts are worth just too much to risk because going over $30 over budget.

The AX500 will run dual 6600's for sure (it's been done already), but not sure about the 6800's... I'm on the fence about it. You could always give it a shot and see how it does. You will be close to maxing out the 12v1 rail though.

I would suggest an upgrade to the FSP550-60PLG with its single 36A 12v rail if nothing else. That or the OCZ 520w+, Zippy 500w+, SilenX 600w, PC P&C 510, or Enermax Noisetaker 600w SLI.

Edit - just noticed your question about the Enermax... I'd skip that one actually. It barely has any advantage on the AX500, and is more costly than the Sparkle/Fortron 550w EPS unit I mentioned above:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-478&depa=0

Last edited:
Not the news I was hoping the hear :(. I am really cutting back on my file server parts (that I am also building along with this upgrade) in order to get an SLI setup. I really want SLI, but my original P4 upgrade plans maybe it, as SLI is going to kill my budget.

Now I know I can get one card now and another later on down the road to save money, but IMO, if I'm going to get SLI, I'm going to GET SLI :).

Back