• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Duron's FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Luie

Can a Duron go over 100 fsb? because if i go over 100 even 101 fsb, the pc crashes...

the temp is not too hot. (37C)
winbond ram is pc-133...

I have taken my duron over 100mhz FSB with pc100 memory and it will run fine.

After about 106 FSB it dies, but thats cos i have a crappy gigabyte motherboard which is very limiting.

Yep you can run a high FSB on a Duron. I have heard of 150 plus FSB on some boards with a Duron. Depends on the Ram and Mobo alot of times.

Maestro

luie said:
Can a Duron go over 100 fsb? because if i go over 100 even 101 fsb, the pc crashes...

the temp is not too hot. (37C)
winbond ram is pc-133...

it's your mobo.........my duron 600 can do 140fsb on a7v

get rid of the pccrap and get a new one

mine is at 132 x 7.5 (would get error in prime95 with 133, everything else is fine, prime95 suk..:D)

117 fsb here, the limit of my "budget" ASUS board. If the board could go higher I've no doubt the chip would also.

116fsb here, my mobo settings jumps from 116 to 120, but at 120 my pci clock is 40mhz and my system just wont boot at it. I can't get it to post anyhigher than 116. After changing power supplies I am fairly stable at 116, so another burn-in session will hopefully let prime 95 crunch away. BTW, one small glitch, my mouse sorta stubles and stutters everynow and then.......I might have to back my FSB down.. :(
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Although the CPU will eventually limit the FSB, I've found that the chipset and peripherals are more likely to cause a problem first.

There is a well-documented problem with all of the first generation motherboards that used the VIA KT133 chipset. These chipsets were released before the availability of the 266 FSB CPU's from AMD. The early KT133 chipsets are usually limited to a FSB in the 107 / 110MHz range. With the release of the 266MHz ("C") CPU'S from AMD, VIA addressed this problem with the introduction of the KT133A chipset with "official" support for FSB's of 133MHz and above, some have reached 150MHz and beyond with this chipset. Most people get to the 140MHz range before running into problems with the peripherals such as the video card and NIC in particular.

Personally, I've run a couple of DURONS at 140MHz on both an ASUS A7V133 (KT133A chipset) and a FIC AD11 (AMD 761 chipset). Many others have achieved similar or better results.

If you are using a chipset that does support FSB’s in excess of 133MHz and are still having problems reaching this bus speed I would recommend that you start looking at the support hardware such as the above-mentioned video card, NIC etc. You may also want to verify that your memory is capable of the higher bus speed as well, most motherboards will let you lower the memory bus speed and timings independently of the FSB.

Another potential problem area is the power supply, although a good 250W psu will usually suffice, most people have better results with higher wattage and better quality (more expensive) units.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck!

Back