• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cruncher down!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ozzlo

Senior whose title will pier
wow my laptop has become completelly unstable.... so to protect from crunching bad data, crunching is completelly halted....

this is serious... In all my experience I have never seen such crazy symptoms... Text dissappears and reappears with mouse rollover or just decides to flicker. There are transparent holes in programs where you can see programs running in the background... the computer only plays sound every other time. programs magically terminate or just plain refuse to run :cry: Errors up the yingyang... games are complaining that they can't detect direct 3d... did I allready say that there's mucho errors... most all of my settings for many programs have dissappeared... like earthlink forgot the numbers it's supposed to dial and Msconfig was reset to normal so there's like 50 zillion programs at startup

I have run a full checkdisk on the HD and it diden't find any errors

I ran microsoft anti spyware and adaware and bolth detected 0 spyware

avg antivirus can't update it'sself because the updater says that the program is corrupted...

i've tried a system restore and tried to set the restore point back to the very first day that the laptop was absolutelly perfect... and system restore gives me an error that since then to now that there has been no changes so thus system restore can't continue... well since I've made that restore point I have installed 20+ applications.... :argue:

the processor is only running at 52c and the vid card is running at 55c full load

I've killed every non essential process and it still has problems....

the only thing that I can think of is that my registry is scrambled or my cpu/ram is crapping out on me... or I have a crazy virus...

Amazingly I have gotten ZERO BLUESCREENS which is totally weird :confused: just a crapload of error boxes...

anybody got any ideas??? I want to get this back up and runninng...

Last edited:
Really sounds like a virus problem to me (I've seen several similar problems).

And the fact that antivirus is having trouble makes me even more suspiscious :)

What antivirus software do you use? First thing I would do is boot into safe mode with networking and see if your antivirus will update and then scan.

If not - try installing a different antivirus program to scan - I recommend using something free and simple like AVG Free Edition ( See http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/ ). Unless the avg you are using is the free version - in which case can you get your hands on norton or symantec? They are relatively cheap and may have a trial edition? Worth checking out.

Hope that helps - let me know how it goes, I'll keep my eye on this thread.

Enk

I was running AVG... I have uninstalled it and the problems just seem to disappear without a trace.... I figure it was some virus that specifically targets AVG and now that there's no AVG that the virus can't operate... we shall see... I'm re-installing AVG in safe mode and then will be running it from safe mode after the updates are done... (which take forever on 56k)... thanks for the help...

Cool, glad to hear it. There are probably other free virus scanners out there if that doesn't work - just as a backup plan. And like I said earlier you can get norton (just as one example) for around $29 USD.

Enkidu

ozzlo said:
I was running AVG... I have uninstalled it and the problems just seem to disappear without a trace.... I figure it was some virus that specifically targets AVG and now that there's no AVG that the virus can't operate... we shall see... I'm re-installing AVG in safe mode and then will be running it from safe mode after the updates are done... (which take forever on 56k)... thanks for the help...

I was also running AVG Free Edition on my home pc. But after they "upgraded" the free edition to Ver. 7.0 it ran unormal. It was using a LOT more recourses and acting weird.
Uninstalled it - and found ClaimWin.

It´s Open Source and offeres Scheduled update, Scheduled Scan. Uses only like 17 Mb when running in tray (where AVG was using 42+ Mb)
Can´t provide with link as I seem to have misplaced it somewhere. :confused:

Steven4563 said:
if u can get a virus scanner to install use this website

http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

i found it to be really good before i installed a virus scanner

Yea that scanner works pretty good for an online one ; i use it from time to time to check my farm.
And Iff you are running XP windows you can download a free beta version of Microsoft Antispy from Technet.com it works realy well.Didnt mean to get off the subject of Viruses. :)

Back