AMD Motherboards
Forum Jump

8RDA+ needs a doctor! getting old!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 03-12-05, 02:07 PM Thread Starter   #1
Chixofnix

8RDA+ needs a doctor! getting old!

ok ^^

so my 8rda+ has been chugging along for awhile now, and recently (last night), it's developed an... issue

when it's getting through post, it'll display my CPU speed, then sit and think about it for a spell (~4 minutes)... after which it'll finish post and boot nicely.

while it's doing this thinking marathon (?) the diagnostic LED is stuck on "05"

seeing as the manual for this mobo is deep in a bunch of boxes int he back of my closet somewhere, i've tried looking up what step 05 entails online, but i can't find it anywhere! o_0

the motherboardfaqs 8rda+ article lists a few, but i recall once seeing a comprehensive (long!) list of all the codes that could be displayed on the LED display, and what many meant, in layman's terms...

... so does anyone else have that list bookmarked? i did at one point...

or has anyone fixed a similar problem?

thanks ^^
~chix

Current Rig: CPU: Phenom II X4 965BE, 3.4GHz RAM: OCZ 2x2Gb DDR3-1600 GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5770, 1Gb HDD: (1)Raptor 74Gb, (2)Seagate 250Gb, (1)WD Green 1.5Tb PSU: ENERMAX ELT620AWT-ECO, 620W MBD: Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H CASE: Antec P180

Previous Rig: CPU: Manchester A64 X2 3800+ w/ stock cooling RAM: 2x1Gb of generic DDR400 GPU: XFX 6800GS (AGP) PSU: Antec True380 PSU MBD: AsRock Dual939 SATA2 mobo (AGP+PCIe)

My Heatware
Chixofnix is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Overclockers Approved
Which motherboard should you buy? Get the final word here. Check out the latest Overclockers reviews:
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

ASRock teamed up with overclocker Nick Shih to make a high-end overclocking-based, yet functional for all users, motherboard named the Z77 OC Formula. It appears they have achieved it. Read More.

Get it at NewEgg for $239.99
ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard

The Maximus V Formula is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series of motherboards, which in itself brings a high level of expectation. It's a no brainer, Overclockers Approved! Read more.

Get it at NewEgg for $279.99
Old 03-12-05, 02:19 PM   #2
{PMS}fishy
Senior A64 Killer

10 Year Badge

Check the caps, they have a tendency to buldge, and leak, and cause issues with the MB. Not sure what the post code is, but if it was working, and now isn't, Id inspect all the caps.

Trouble Shooting 101:
1. RTFM
2. Repeat Step 1

6ghz Club Member.

cw823 Fan Club Founding Member, are you?
{PMS}fishy is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-12-05, 07:57 PM   #3
DJCorpse

my 8rda+ manual says the post code 05h is: 1. Blank Out Screen 2. Clear CMOS error flag. Im not really sure what either of those mean unfortunately but that is what is in the manual if you havent dug yours out yet.

G.SKILL Ripjaws 3x2GB DDR3 1600
XFX Radeon HD 5870 1GB
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.0 GB/s SATA
Corsair TX750W
DJCorpse is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-14-05, 11:07 AM Thread Starter   #4
Chixofnix

thanks for the lookup dj... i'm just as clueless over the manual (most of the manual seems to be engineer-speak translated by someone who doesn't know much about computers :/), but it would seem that those words don't sound terribly threatening...

fishy i recall the ugly pics of leaking caps on the 8rda lines in the past... every time a thread came out i had to re-check to be sure, but i've been safe up till this point... i'll do another double check tonight... (**crosses fingers)

Current Rig: CPU: Phenom II X4 965BE, 3.4GHz RAM: OCZ 2x2Gb DDR3-1600 GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5770, 1Gb HDD: (1)Raptor 74Gb, (2)Seagate 250Gb, (1)WD Green 1.5Tb PSU: ENERMAX ELT620AWT-ECO, 620W MBD: Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H CASE: Antec P180

Previous Rig: CPU: Manchester A64 X2 3800+ w/ stock cooling RAM: 2x1Gb of generic DDR400 GPU: XFX 6800GS (AGP) PSU: Antec True380 PSU MBD: AsRock Dual939 SATA2 mobo (AGP+PCIe)

My Heatware
Chixofnix is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > AMD Motherboards
AMD Motherboards