• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yet another, help choose thead....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

clash

Ok guys, purchased the AMD64 3000+ and a MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum MB, along with a new 6600GT gfx card. My Hopes were high, coming from a 1800xp with a mmx 440 gfx card....

Well, this thing has more glitches during gaming than my old system did. Seems to be a rather common problem, and i am all done messing with it.... I give up.

I am ditching AMD for good. Unfortunatly, i know nothing about Intel setups. I went to newegg and this was on the main screen linky

Looks like a pretty good price, but as i know nothing about intel, it could be a total turd...
Could someone also suggest a MB for me to use that keeps the AGP slot, and not pci-e.... As im too cheap to buy another gfx card...

Last edited:
I would suggest your problem probably is more to do with the ASIC chip on the 6600GT. The pci-e versions have considerably less "issues" than that card which is pci-e with a cross-over chip added to run on AGP.

I moved from a ati 9700 to a 6600GT and had no end of problems before swapping to an X800.

Again, it is a common problem with the agp 6600GT cards (common being 1 in 5 or 1 in 10?) so I'd realllllly recommend you try a different video card before changing everything else. Don't forget to use driver cleaner.

*edit* too cheap but have the money to spend on a new Intel setup? huh?

Again, it is a common problem with the agp 6600GT cards (common being 1 in 5 or 1 in 10?) so I'd realllllly recommend you try a different video card before changing everything else.

And this would make the cpu run at 100% all the time and multitask like crap? Open more than one program and it acts like it's a 486....

clash said:
And this would make the cpu run at 100% all the time and multitask like crap? Open more than one program and it acts like it's a 486....
If your CPU utilization is at 100% your PC has spyware. THAT is not amd related ;)

i agree with sentenel the problem isnt the proc something els is going on i went from a 3.4 prescot to a athlon 64 3500 and it goes so much faster it isnt even funny although i do notice a hit on multi threading id most certanly doesint make it run like a 486 and in linux my 3500 runs at 1-0 percent so it isnt the proc i can asure u of that and there is spyware for linux but not much therefore i doubt it is ur problem

Clash I bought a 6600GT AGP and I had so many problems with it. I returned it and bought a X800 Pro and my problems disappeared :)

What brand card is it as i here alot of xfx built 6600gt have problems.
I dont now anything about a64 mobos but isnt the neo2 a very fussy and problem-matic.
I have only built one a64 rig and it was the easiest and most problem free computer i have ever built using a gigabyte nf3 mobo excellent board for the money.

that mobo wont work with the cpu you were looking at.

the cpu in your link is s478 and the mobo is 775

youll need to get a dfi lanparty 875b revb not the 875-t

or you could get that motherboard and a 775 cpu like a cheap 6xx series would be my recomendation.

hawtrawkr said:
that mobo wont work with the cpu you were looking at.

the cpu in your link is s478 and the mobo is 775

youll need to get a dfi lanparty 875b revb not the 875-t

or you could get that motherboard and a 775 cpu like a cheap 6xx series would be my recomendation.

He never said which CPU he was going to get. Rather that he saw that s478 3.0E.

All he said was that he wanted to keep his AGP card, and his DDR.

He needs a MB and CPU. So the 875-T will be the best bet, and then he can go with either a 3.0E, 530, or 630.

clash said:
At this point im open to any suggestions, i know nothing about Intel...

875-T & 560J.

Tried and true. The 560J is unlocked and will run over 4ghz with good cooling. THe DFI has proven itself over 300mhx FSB.

You could go cheaper. You could go with a 6xx if you wanted. Im not too sure how well the 6xx chips work in this MB. They have twice the cache, and EMT-64. They are also quite spendy.

Id take a look in the used section, there are a few 560Js that are known to run over 4200mhz for a good price. That with the DFI and you will be a happy camper.

That with the DFI and you will be a happy camper.
That would be a really nice change. I have been battling this setup for almost 2 months.
So if you can tell me that this would be a ok processor, i am going to purchase it and the MB you suggested.

Last edited:
Back