• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

antec true control 550w not good anymore ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZL1

Senior Crypto Caretaker
Hi

guys I keep hearing "more power, more power" lately and now Im also hearing "24a 12v not enough anymore"

is that so ? for an p4c or a p4e ? aggressive oc of course

Thanks
Dan

PS my 12v is usually at 11.78, wont hit 12 no matter what I do

Da Whip said:
What most are refering to is systems w/ GF 6800's, ATIX800 cards or SLI. These new cards need almost 100watts by themselves.

yes Ive heard of that, Im not worried as I only have a 5900se, but Ive heard of psu power in cpu ocing posts

Thanks
Dan

Sadly the TC550 is outdated for the new motherboards, and graphics cards. Its lack of a 24 pin ATX connector, and lack of dual 12v rails hurts it. For the new tech you will want a PSU with ATX 2.01 specs.

About your low rails. What are you using to measure that voltage? If you are using a program like Motherboard Monitor or Speedfan, those read the voltages off the motherboard sensors which are known to be inaccurate. A digital multimeter is the only reliable way to measure rail voltages.

ZachM said:
Sadly the TC550 is outdated for the new motherboards, and graphics cards. Its lack of a 24 pin ATX connector, and lack of dual 12v rails hurts it. For the new tech you will want a PSU with ATX 2.01 specs.

About your low rails. What are you using to measure that voltage? If you are using a program like Motherboard Monitor or Speedfan, those read the voltages off the motherboard sensors which are known to be inaccurate. A digital multimeter is the only reliable way to measure rail voltages.

Hi

how about for the p4c800e (sorry I just cant say old) and the fx5900se ?
the only thing Im considering upgrading is the cpu (and that is a maybe)
however Im curious if the psu might be holding back my 2.4c oc and if it would hold me back if I get a prescott

Thanks
Dan

ZL1 said:
Hi

how about for the p4c800e (sorry I just cant say old) and the fx5900se ?
the only thing Im considering upgrading is the cpu (and that is a maybe)
however Im curious if the psu might be holding back my 2.4c oc and if it would hold me back if I get a prescott

Thanks
Dan
The TC550 is adequate for a Northwood (I still use a TP430 on mine), but is easily pressed to its limits by a Prescott. At a bare minimum you must increase the airflow through the supply for it to be serviceable with a Prescott, and even then it will be limiting if the chip is really good.

larva said:
The TC550 is adequate for a Northwood (I still use a TP430 on mine), but is easily pressed to its limits by a Prescott. At a bare minimum you must increase the airflow through the supply for it to be serviceable with a Prescott, and even then it will be limiting if the chip is really good.

dang it :(
well no prescott for me I guess :(

Thanks
Dan

Your TC is fine for your current system, but I would seek a replacement if you ever considered moving to Prescott/Athlon 64.

In the past, power supplies were beefed up using the +5 rail. Nowawdays, however, we see that current systems place more demand on the +12 volt thanks to current processors and video cards. Because of this, we find that earlier Antec units are not built to these specifications, and many former avid Antec users (including myself) have moved elsewhere for our power needs.

deception``

My 12v rail started sagging really bad also, 11.31, even with it turned up all the way. I RMA'd it and got the new generation tru control 550 with 30amps on the 12v rail.

You should be able to RMA yours also.

Back