• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who know PS2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Computers aren't powerful enough to emulate ps2 games. It all has to be done in software which means your processor is doing 100% of the work, it simply isn't possible even with a 4ghz p4.

Prodigious said:
Computers aren't powerful enough to emulate ps2 games. It all has to be done in software which means your processor is doing 100% of the work, it simply isn't possible even with a 4ghz p4.

cool. Where did you got that from?

So a PS2 game doesn't use any video cards if it where to run on a pc.
Surely it runs under directx commands?

I don't think I really understand how all this software and consoles work.

/me off to find more info!

Its common sense. Emulators do what their name implies. emulate. That means it fools the game into thinking its running off of hardware that really isn't there. Its impossible to use hardware acceleration because the hardware isn't compatible. Even though something like the xbox uses modified off the shelf components, the games are designed for that configuration and that only. It would take hours to explain how everything works and why graphics and sound hardware is useless when emulating console games so you'll just have to trust me, or at least search google.

For an good example, get an emulator for something relatively simple(in gfx terms) like a gba emulator. Run a game and check how much your processor usage is. Now run something of an equivalent level that was desgned for pcs. You'll notice an enormous difference.

oh well that's just pure guessing on my part. However its probably a low estimate as well. As the level of graphics increase, so does the processor power increase exponentially almost. With an snes emulator you're dealing with simple sprites and low amount of colors. Jump up to ps1/n64 and you've got 3d models more colors and limited features such as lighting effects. Get into the current generation and you've got bump mapping, fully dynamic lighting, high res textures, lots of polygons, high res audio, advanced physics and ai, all of which has to be run off of your cpu instead of having things delegated to other parts of your system. And keep in mind gpus are designed to be fast at calculating graphical effects, cpu's are non fixed function making it more versatile but ultimately slower at handling graphics.

Its easy to see why you'd need masssive amounts of power to emulate it.

There IS a PS2 emulator that works; however, all games do not work so well with it. Since I really don't know if this is a touchy subject or not, I am not posting and links ATM. I mean come on people, it's called google.

I own games and I own a PS2, so I'd be legit. If you don't own the game your running and don't own a PS2, you're in violation of the naughty-boy RIAA/MPAA rueles and they'll come and perform a code-red on you in your sleep.

there's a law that's says it's illegal to back up anything digital...but some judges see it different. so who the hell knows. riaa can die a slow death for all i care. it would be cool to play my ps2 games on my pc but then again it's not all that cool because my tv is 10x bigger than my monitor :D

Bios24 said:
So how is there a working xbox emulator out that runs Halo?

Is the PS/2 much more powerful than the xbox?

The xbox is way more powerful, but I'd like to see this supposed xbox emulator and more importantly what the framerate is. Just cause you can run the program doesnt mean it will run at an even remotely acceptable framerate.

Are you sure youre not getting confused with the pc port of halo?

btw, if you are referring to the xeon emulator, you should know that the performance is way below par and its full of bugs.

Back