• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Leadtek A400 Ultra HSF or nV Silencer 5?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TWY

The A400 Ultra TDH heatsink on my card is causing the PCB to warp a little bit, and I'm unsure whether it is causing poor contact with my GPU core and the memory chips.

So I was wondering whether would it be good to spend some money to get an AC nV Silencer 5? Would there be any improvement in temperatures over the stock copper block on the Leadtek card, which is pretty huge but powered by a weak fan?

Would the copper heatsink strip and its two pushpins on top of the PLL chips be obstructing the Silencer 5's fan compartment?

Thanks. :)

I use the NV5 silencer on my Chaintech aa6800nu. It got me about 40 more mhz on the GPU and about 15 more on the memory over stock. I don't know how well it would fit on your card, but after getting the stock HS off my card it took 3 minutes to screw it on.

The Leadtek heatsink is quite nice, wheras most of the NV5's blow hard. If you like to spend time lapping, tweaking, filing, cursing and tinkering, an NV5 is perfect for you. However if you want the best cooling you might consider lapping your existing part, using Arctic Silver 5 and remounting it as squarely as possible. Also, get one of those AGP card keepers to try to bolster your board from bending. :)

consumer9000 said:
The Leadtek heatsink is quite nice, wheras most of the NV5's blow hard. If you like to spend time lapping, tweaking, filing, cursing and tinkering, an NV5 is perfect for you. However if you want the best cooling you might consider lapping your existing part, using Arctic Silver 5 and remounting it as squarely as possible. Also, get one of those AGP card keepers to try to bolster your board from bending. :)

I had no problems fitting on my NV5 silencer. I have seen some complaints about needing to lap the nv5 silencer here on the boards, but not enough to say they are a bad product. I am sure the people that are happy with there NV5 silencer definatly out weigh the people that have had problems.

consumer9000 said:

The problem with my card is that it seems that my heatsink has been badly done until the whole front copper block is slanted. :(

What's an AGP card keeper? Never heard or seen one before. :eh?:

its something that attaches to the case and the card, to stop the card from falling out
it will also help the card stop bending
try a google search :)

Back