• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A8V Deluxe standby problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gashman

Registered
Okay guys...

I have a rev 2.00 a8v deluxe with 1010.003 beta bios installed. Now my system has been hunky-dory and is happy with the "FSB" set to 230mhz. When I run at 240mhz or above I have noticed occasionally that my system will fail to return from standby. Now it could be coincidence but my room temp has been below 16C each time it has failed to return (it is not usually that cold).

I shall lay out the details here:
A64 3200+ @10x240 @1.475V
HTT 4x
kingmax pc4000 @240 (auto timings - maybe these are too tight?) @ 2.6V
a8v rev 2.00 @ 1010.003 beta bios
ASUS X800PRO vivo (XTPE BIOS BUT XT CLOCK SPEEDS) ATI cats 5.3
Hiper type-r 480W (12V1=18a,12V2=16a)
xp90+vantec stealth 92mm

In the bios I have my power management options set to S1 ONLY (not suspend to ram), VIDEO to REPOST ON RESUME and in windows I have monitor standby after 15 mins and hard disk power off after 20 mins on the power management page.

My LOAD temp (eg with prime2004 running) is around 37C, CPU IDLE around 29C and my video temp around 38C idle, 65C load with an ambient temp of around 19C.

As an example I left my pc on all last night (about 7 hours) running prime2004 and in the morning i turned on the monitor and it was fine, check email etc, hadnt failed prime2004. Then i left my pc idling for an hour, came back, turned on the monitor and the green light came on but there was no picture. I have to restart my pc to get a picture again.

Now my 12v rail is good and strong (~12.20V during gaming), but I'm wondering if it is a problem with ATI cards (im using FW and 8xAGP) or if it is due to a broken AGP/PCI lock (i set it at 66/33 in bios)? I have ONLY had this problem at 240mhz or above, NEVER at 230mhz. I have had no ram stability problems and have managed HOURS of gaming fine. My bios is set to auto timings @240mhz, but the timings read 3-4-4-8 and the SPD figures are 3-5-5-10@250mhz so could this be the problem?

The only common elements between the "failing to resume video" incidents are:
1) Low room temperature (ie below 16C) while PC is idling
2) 240MHz or above "fsb"

Does anyone know what might be the source of the failing to resume video thing? I can still toggle caps-lock LED etc when it happens.

Thanks

gash.

Back