• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC-DL & 1.6 Xeons OC questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iceage

You can see in my sig the dual Xeon rig I have. Right now its set to 210 fsb x15. I've been thinking about bumping the multiplier up to 16x and backing down the fsb to 200, seeing if it'll boot/load XP/Prime, and then creeping up the fsb again.

If I do this and it doesn't POST, should I have any problems getting back into BIOS and resetting the multi to 15x? This is probably a inane question, but I'll kick myself for not asking it and then running into avoidable problems. :rolleyes:

Also, I've been thinking of pulling the D2-D3 u-wire from both sockets and running ~1.5v and seeing if there is a) an OCable difference, and b) a load core temp difference. Has anyone done any bench/measurements in this direction?

Thanks!!

When mine doesn't POST, I just cold boot it while I'm holding down the Insert button on my keyboard.

On my bad pair of 1.6 LV:
a)
1.5V = 2.8GHz 100% stable, 3GHz 90% stable-ish (prime fails, but no problems)
1.6V = 3GHz (200x15) 100% stable and 220x14 100% stable

b)
3GHz @ 1.5V load temp = 45*C
3GHz @ 1.6V load temp = 48*C

For some reason if the insert key doesn't work (doesn't seem to with my board always) you can always change the fsb jumper back to say 133 or 100 and then it should boot fine.

as far as getting back into bios is concerned, as was mentioned, just switch the fsb jumper back to 133 and you should be able to boot without a problem

As for dropping the voltage when i did it i didnt see a really drastic change in processor temps untill i changed out the stock IWT 60mm fans with some 80mm fans with a shroud...

Thanks guys. If the temp difference is going to be 3C, i'll probably leave them at 1.6v.

Short on free time atm. Should get to working on it this Weds.

Thanks!!

Since i was impatient, i just made my shrouds out of some heavy gauge cardboard with clothes hanger wire glued into the base so the little hooks on the IWT could clip over it... It's pretty ghetto, but works very well, and was free :D

Back