• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best budget and best overall ram for the Abit 'NF7-S v2?'

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zer0nix

^topic

i'm looking for compatability, overclockability and affordability... i could probably find some candidates that fit the first two requirements but i'm gonna need some help fulfilling the third; what's some good 'cheap' ram that would allow me to overclock with this mobo?

well, how much money are you looking at spending? and how much ram are you wanting to purchase. those are two major factors. if your willing to spend close to 160 bucks for a gig, you could easily get some good pc4000 ram, made by geil or patriot or kingmax. the abit nf7-s v2 is supported by patriot, geil and kingmax. all three of them make good overclocking ram that will easily get you to your overclocking destination

1G of UTT would be perfect for the NF7 and it isnt over 150.00...do not use TCCD on the NF7...they will not do as well as UTT chips...TCCD is more for NF3/NF4 setups...

to be honest, i really wasn't looking to spend over 50 bucks (this is for a system with an athlon 950) but i guess i'll place a soft limit at around $100; i'd like to get a gig please :p

"the abit nf7-s v2 is supported by patriot, geil and kingmax. all three of them make good overclocking ram that will easily get you to your overclocking destination"

"1G of UTT would be perfect for the NF7 and it isnt over 150.00...do not use TCCD on the NF7...they will not do as well as UTT chips...TCCD is more for NF3/NF4 setups..."

hmm, i didn't know that before, thanks :D

"9800 Pro (crap)"

lol, really? i considered getting one once... why is it crap?

zer0nix said:
"9800 Pro (crap)"

This is kind of a personal inside joke...my old Pro did 500 on core without V mods and on air cooling alone...

My latest Pro is crap compaired to my old one...took everything and all my cooling tricks to get it to run at 468...sometimes I luck out and get it too run up to 477...but my ambience temps has to be in the middle to low 40f's...but then again...this latest Pro was the one that set the record in 01 for non v modded, air cooled Pros...

Still crap compaired to my other one ;)...

glock19owner said:
1G of UTT would be perfect for the NF7 and it isnt over 150.00...do not use TCCD on the NF7...they will not do as well as UTT chips...TCCD is more for NF3/NF4 setups...

Sorry, but this is not true. UTT would be pointless on an NF7-S, as it doesn't possess the voltage necessary to make it a worthy buy. TCCD, on the other hand, should clock very well even on an NF2 system. I have two sticks of Patriot XBL in a backup NF2 rig running at 260 Mhz as we speak.

deception``

deception`` said:
Sorry, but this is not true. UTT would be pointless on an NF7-S, as it doesn't possess the voltage necessary to make it a worthy buy. TCCD, on the other hand, should clock very well even on an NF2 system. I have two sticks of Patriot XBL in a backup NF2 rig running at 260 Mhz as we speak.

deception``

Skills did crap on my NF7...230 at 8-4-4-2.5 is not great...UTT/BH5 (forgot to add the BH5) is better for the NF7's...and screw that V Mod...why take a chance on messing up the board when they can go buy the OCZ booster and then have the voltage for both...BH5 and UTT, which will put a hurt on any TCCD in a NF2 board...

glock19owner said:
Skills did crap on my NF7...230 at 8-4-4-2.5 is not great...UTT/BH5 (forgot to add the BH5) is better for the NF7's...and screw that V Mod...why take a chance on messing up the board when they can go buy the OCZ booster and then have the voltage for both...BH5 and UTT, which will put a hurt on any TCCD in a NF2 board...

The TCCD is not at fault there. Chances are you simply reached the limit of your NF7-S northbridge. If it's any consilation, those Patriot XBL have been tested on both an Ultra Infinity and NF7-S at 260 (though the Abit only runs stable at about 257 :))

deception``

glock19owner said:
and screw that V Mod...why take a chance on messing up the board when they can go buy the OCZ booster and then have the voltage for both...BH5 and UTT, which will put a hurt on any TCCD in a NF2 board...
Because the vdimm will not track beyond 3.1v without a vtt mod on the nf7.

Yes they where at fault...even Skill said those are not made for the NF2 or NF3's...that TCCD is actually too powerful for both and is more in tune for NF4's...

Anyways...was looking for Jacks quote at Skills forum where he stated this...going on this fact and my own experience with Skills...BTW - 230 is not my max on that board...250 is...but it seems like a lot of Jacks post have been deleted...someone qouted him on XS at this same thing...not even going to try to find it on the search I came up with...

fldrice said:
Because the vdimm will not track beyond 3.1v without a vtt mod on the nf7.

Not in all cases...some NF7's VTT can still handle that without the mod...I just ran a NF7 for over a year...without needing a VTT droop mod...and it ran my Kingstons fine up to 250...when I had the mobile 2600...

Forget the high voltage ram and go with TCCD ram..... that would be the best performer on the NF7 at stock. If you want to go through the hassle of voltmodding your board then you might consider the high voltage stuff but after messing around with my BH-5 and UTT stuff over the last week, it will probably be more expense and hassle than its worth. I haven't been able to crack 240 cpc-on with anything else but my TCCD ram on my NF7..... nuff said.

Holy cow... this thread made me go look up memory prices... they sure have come down since I bought memory!

When I got mine... cheapest gig you could get was $200.

Alright, a few questions... what exactly do y'all mean by volt modding with this board? is there a limitation to voltage adjustment within the bios?

EDIT: i'm gonna need +2v for the cpu and it sounds like i might need 2.8v for the ram...

also, what do y'all think of these?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-141-423&depa=1
Kingston ValueRAM Dual Channel Kit 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200, Model KVR400X64C3AK2
DDR400(PC3200)
Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 3
Support Voltage: 2.6V
Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s
Organization: two 64M x 64 -Bit
Warranty: Lifetime
$103.00
a reviewer writes that with non intel systems one may need to set the ram to DDR333 and cas 2.5... much suck if this is true...

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=20-223-009&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE
Rosewill 184-Pin 512MB DDR PC3200, Model RW400/512
DDR400 (PC3200)
Type: 184-Pin DDR SDRAM
Cas Latency: 3-4-4
Support Voltage: 2.6V ~ 2.7V
Organization: 64M x 64-Bit
$39.99 + $3.99
this price seems better than good for ram from *what i think* is a reputable company...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-219&depa=0
Mushkin 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - Retail
Model# 991093
Speed: DDR400(PC3200)
Cas Latency: 2.5
Organization: 64M x 64 -Bit
$51.00
i'm leaning most towards this ram; in fact, unless y'all have some horrible stories about it's performance (actually, "230 at 8-4-4-2.5" sounds good to me so i don't know :/ ) or some better recommendations within my price range, this thing is mine :D

EDIT: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=20-156-020&DEPA=0
Kingmax SuperRAM Series Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200, Model MPXD42D-2
Support Voltage: 2.5V
$72.99
HOLY CRAP i just saw this... :O anyone got any stories to tell about this ram?

PS: what is the max bus speed of a 950mhz thunderbird?

Last edited:
Personally if you don't want to spend any money for this ram I'd go with the Kingmax..... they should get you up to 220fsb without much fuss. Kingston Value has had UTT as of late so if that's what you end up with that won't do you much good on a NF7 without a booster and possibly some voltmods. I can't speak for the Mushkin......

zer0nix said:
Alright, a few questions... what exactly do y'all mean by volt modding with this board? is there a limitation to voltage adjustment within the bios?

EDIT: i'm gonna need +2v for the cpu and it sounds like i might need 2.8v for the ram...

with a good bios you'll only get to 2.9v vdimm on the NF7.... UTT and BH-5 will need above that to really start reaching it's potential. Also a known fact about the NF7 is that it doesn't always track the VTT correctly above 3.1 volts, sometimes less...... and btw I hope you're using water if you're gonna run 2v on the cpu.....

Last edited:
"with a good bios you'll only get to 2.9v vdimm on the NF7...."

just clicked the link in your sig and i'm getting dizzy looking at all the bios... what's the final word on which is the best or what would you recommend if i go with the kingwins and i want sata capability?

"and btw I hope you're using water if you're gonna run 2v on the cpu....."

doesn't a good copper heatsink beat watercooling?

zer0nix said:

also, what do y'all think of these?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-141-423&depa=1
Kingston ValueRAM Dual Channel Kit 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200, Model KVR400X64C3AK2
DDR400(PC3200)
Cas Latency: 3
$103.00
a reviewer writes that with non intel systems one may need to set the ram to DDR333 and cas 2.5... much suck if this is true...

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=20-223-009&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE
Rosewill 184-Pin 512MB DDR PC3200, Model RW400/512
DDR400 (PC3200)
Cas Latency: 3-4-4
Support Voltage: 2.6V ~ 2.7V
Organization: 64M x 64-Bit
$39.99 + $3.99
this price seems better than good for ram from *what i think* is a reputable company...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-219&depa=0
Mushkin 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - Retail
Model# 991093
Organization: 64M x 64 -Bit
$51.00
i'm leaning most towards this ram; in fact, unless y'all have some horrible stories about it's performance (actually, "230 at 8-4-4-2.5" sounds good to me so i don't know :/ ) or some better recommendations within my price range, this thing is mine :D

EDIT: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=20-156-020&DEPA=0
Kingmax SuperRAM Series Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200, Model MPXD42D-2
Support Voltage: 2.5V
$72.99
HOLY CRAP i just saw this... :O anyone got any stories to tell about this ram?

PS: what is the max bios speed of a 950mhz thunderbird?

Watch out!...the cheaper brands of RAM (Kingmax, Rosewill, even Muskin, etc...) alot of times come with elixer chips (pure crap). I just bought the Corsair 512mb PC3200 from the egg for $52 shipped...CAS 2.5 for my NF7-S v2.

edit: F*CK! ...Went down too $49...my luck.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-026&depa=0

Last edited:
Back