• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my P4 about to explode on me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hempmaster

Registered
Hi I just purchased a pair of 1GB Crucial Ballistix pc4000 to go with my P4 2.8c. After putting them in I clocked my CPU to 250FSB so its running at 3.5Ghz.

My problem is its runnign a bit hotter than before by idleing at 35c and sometimes reaching 50c+ in games and so on. I am using a Thermalright SLK-800u hs and a Thermaltake smartcase fan 2 on full.

Is 50c+ danger zone for my CPU or is it ok, if ti is any suggestions what I should do next short of undercocking it?

Also my BFG 6800 GT OC 256MB has starting running hot as before the GPU would run at approx 53c but know is runnign at 70c, is this ok or is this dangerous as well?

Thanks

50+C is high but its nothing to worry about, don't get me wrong though, you don't want to run your temps that high for a long period of time. What are you using for a TIM?

For your CPU it's running a bit too close for comfort, but it's not at the meltdown point. You may want to mess with your case air flow or look at a newer heatsink.

As for your video card i'm not too sure.

grrr...dicecca112 you beat me! I VILL BE J00R DOOOOM!!!!!1 *Coughs* KOTOR style. :beer:

actually, that seems fine for that cpu... ive had mine up to 72°C (as said in AsusProbe, which was probably off by 10°C WOW! thats 82°C!!) after a few minutes of prime, stock with some crappy TIM and stock cooling... but i used to get as high as 55°C in asus probe after about an hour of americas army (after i cleaned out my case and now i got a new cooler and some mods)... thats absolutely fine for a northwood... around 65+ is the boiling point, just don't stay TOO long at around 55

and ive heard the videocard is fine too... can we get some pics of your case?

If it is a socket 478 these CPU run a little hot, but 50c is still well within peramiters, but it if were mine, I would be a little worried, get a Thermalright XP-120 and you will see a nice drop in temps with a 120mm fan mounted on top. I have a Socket 478 P4 3.2 and it ran in the mid 50's with the stock HS, with the Thermalright XP-120/120mm thermaltake thunberblade fan, it dropped to the low 40's on load (the total price on these items would be around $70.00.

As for the 6800 OC GT, thats at the upper limits and approaching the danger zone, be careful. Hope it helps

also, intels have a thermal throtling, so even if it was going to explode, it would shutdown first, and probably wouldnt even be damaged

wow, thanks for your quick replies, I thinkI may start looking at a new heatsink but I also wanted to ask what is a TIM?

thermal interface material. arctic silver 5 is the best, you usually get generic stuff when you buy a heatsink. it goes between the heatsink and the processor

a tim is a thermal interface material. its like the grey square of stuff that was on the stock heatsink. arctic silver makes some good ones including arctic silver cremique and arctic silver 5, which could help lower your temps up to 8º-5ºC. its not too cheap, around 10 bucks for a 3.5 gram tube, but you dont need alot of it and you can use it on anything, like your northbridge cooler or your graphics cards heatsink.

Don't worry about your temps. 50C for a Pentium 4 is nothing these days. What kills Pentiums rapidly is heavy overvolting. Take care to moderate the juice and your chip will outlast your interest in it! :p

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
arctic silver makes some good ones including arctic silver cremique and arctic silver 5, which could help lower your temps up to 8º-5ºC. .
I doubt you will see drops as significant as 8-5 i would expect more like 1-4 then maybe in a month or so you would lose 2-5 in total, its very rare to drop 6+ by putting on as5

Hempmaster said:
Hi I just purchased a pair of 1GB Crucial Ballistix pc4000 to go with my P4 2.8c. After putting them in I clocked my CPU to 250FSB so its running at 3.5Ghz.

My problem is its runnign a bit hotter than before by idleing at 35c and sometimes reaching 50c+ in games and so on. I am using a Thermalright SLK-800u hs and a Thermaltake smartcase fan 2 on full.

Is 50c+ danger zone for my CPU or is it ok, if ti is any suggestions what I should do next short of undercocking it?

Also my BFG 6800 GT OC 256MB has starting running hot as before the GPU would run at approx 53c but know is runnign at 70c, is this ok or is this dangerous as well?

Thanks

Check out my sticky in General CPU's. It has some ways to improve your temperatures for little to nothing in terms of $$. It also explains why the CPU can usually handle a temperature higher than one might expect.

I also think you should take all CPU readings from the CPU diode if possible, again, I explain why in the sticky.

50°C under load read via the CPU diode is not dangerous for any Pentium 4. The lowest manufacture recomended CPU casing temperature I have seen so far is in the mid to high 60's for a Pentium 4. The CPU could probably safely go beyond that into the 80's or even the 90's without issues, although there is no gaurantee and it would not be under warranty. It is also not recomended.

Good Luck! :cool:

sometimes mine runs close to 50C but its all fine. you're good, quoting everyone above me. and this is on my project PC. (note it is in my sig so check it out.)
my biggest OCer is my other 3800+ which i managed to throw a full 3.2 GHz out of it, but it has one of the huge *** heatsinks, and LOTS of fans in it so I try to keep it cool as possible.
if your CPU reaches 80C-85C then you might be getting into the danger zone. that just means to work a bit harder on your cooling solution.

You didn't say what MB you are running and it is important.

Just in case it is one of these I just want to add this. If you are running an Abit board don't worry about it they always report 10C over actual. If you are running an ASUS board be a bit concerned since they always read lower then actual.

ahhh, TIM, know I understand, im using arctic silver 5 (only the best is for me). Im using a asus board so maybe I should be concerned but most people seem to think I might scrape it through. But either way I might still try to get a Thermalright xp-120 to try to stay in the 40s on load if possible.

So am I right in saying to summarise that on my p42.8c that 50c is acceptable on load but not for a long time?

Out of curiosity what is a long time? 3 hours of gameing or maybe more what do you reckon?

Sorry for so many questions but just a bit paranoid incase I damage something.

Back