• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dynamic Disks? whats that?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

If u right click on My Computer...go to Manage...then Disk Management and right click ur main disk....there is an option for converting the disk to a "Dynamic Disk" . What exactly does this mean? TIA all.

its m$'s implementation of software raid, with dynamic disks, you will be able to create things like mirrored, spanned, and striped volumes.

Software RAID is pretty poor performance BTW, since it steals your CPU cycles to process data. I would stay away from it if you can.

dark_15 said:
Software RAID is pretty poor performance BTW, since it steals your CPU cycles to process data. I would stay away from it if you can.

not necessarily true. If you have a computer which is a dedicated file server, there isnt much else your cpu cycles need to go to except serving data, so in that case using software raid is an acceptable option, especially for a home server where cost typically needs to be low and performance isnt absolutely critical.

how much of would it steal because i got 4 hd's and stripping them thur windows seems to be the only thing do without buying a raid card. I'll put it like this would it be worth the cost to get a raid card over using windows.

radi card would be better then window - what if windows FUBAR's ? there goes your array - a raid card is made do to 1 specific task - raid hard drives - so less chance of it messing up.

Software raids preformance is not that poor, it's on par with the preformance of common raid cards. Non server oriented raid cards, i.e, Promise, Highpoint, ect, do most of the work in software so you can say they are software based. One thing to remember, you can't boot off a dynamic volume

Back