• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright AX7 vs SI-97

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HydroCool

We're gonna see a battle of the heavyweights soon...Which do you think performs better? My SI-97 is on the way as we speak and the AX7 is what I'm using now, but im noticing a big temp increase, used to run around 30C idle, even lower sometimes and now its running around 40c idle...Computer is different though, switched from my biostar to an asus...cpu is also 400 mhz faster...Switched from XP 2000+ to the Sempron, so i'm wondering if the cpu change or mobo change would increase them temps that much

How are you checking the temps? If you're checking them through the motherboard, that would explain the difference. Odds are the CPU temp is near or exactly the same, and the boards are just reporting it differently.

both mbm5 and the bios...before, when i had the XP2000+(1.6ghz) it would idle @ about 30-31C and load would range from 37-40C, now with the 2400+(2ghz) it idles @ 43C and loads @ 50C...I've also heard the stories about Asus not reporting the temps correctly.

it's possible asus is reporting CPU internal diode temp and the Biostar was reporting CPU socket temp. it's usually the case when you see a ~10c reporting difference.

Could also be the AX-7 and thermal compound isn't installed properly. It happens. you could try a reapplication/reseating of the compound/hsf.

Back