• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about installing new card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alexandria

Registered
hi.. i just got a new soundcard (soundblaster audigy2 zs), but my motherboard (abit nf7-sv.2) already has an onboard sound thingy... so how do i go about installing this new card?? do i have to disable the onboard one somehow, or?...

Last edited:
with nforce2 I think it will stay on...so to make things easier for yourself (because windows might not use the aduigy as primary unless you mess with settings), Install the sound card in the PCI slot, then boot up, go into the BIOS and there's an option to disable the onboard (forgot how as I don't use softmenu anymore). Then just go into windows and install drivers, restart and you should be fine

Just install it following the directions. You should then check the sound control panel to see that your system is indeed using the new card rather than the onboard. You can also disable the onboard sound in your BIOS but this isn't necessary.

alphasl said:
Just install it following the directions. You should then check the sound control panel to see that your system is indeed using the new card rather than the onboard. You can also disable the onboard sound in your BIOS but this isn't necessary.
While it may not be necessary to disable the onboard sound it is a waste of a small amount of resources to leave it inabled. My feeling is if you don't use it or need it, disable it. (I do that with unused serial ports, midi ports, paralell ports, etc)

rseven said:
While it may not be necessary to disable the onboard sound it is a waste of a small amount of resources to leave it inabled. My feeling is if you don't use it or need it, disable it. (I do that with unused serial ports, midi ports, paralell ports, etc)

Totally agree. Having something enabled is like running a program running in windows that you never use. Disabling it will leave you with less headaches trying to install it and getting it running using that card and not the onboard one.

Back