• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linksys WRT54GS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pickle

Hi i just got a router so i can connect both my computers to my cablemodem. One question, do i install the router setup on the computer i want to control it? also do i have no need for a firewall program now such as zonealarm? and if i use 2 computers for now with ethernet cables is my wifi turned off on it?

Router setup doesn't install on your computer, it only configures the router so it works with your cable connection, and some other options

router has firewall, I don't really have opionin on zonealarm firewall

by default wifi should be on, maybe in the setup you can disable wireless, if not after running setup type in 192.168.1.1, look for wireless tab and disable it there

The wifi depends on the maker, on my usrobotics it came disabled while in a linksys I used it was enabled by default, but it's not hard to disable it, just type in the router's ip address in the address bar and disable it, I didn't have to install any software with any router for them to work so it's up to you if you want to install it.

The only thing I would do is turn off the wireless if you are not using it and also change the administrators login password from the default. If you go into the routers setup screen (192.168.1.1 in a browser) and under the Wireless Tab disable the wireless. To change the password click on the administration tab and pick a new password for login. THe login will still be user=admin, Password=your new password....

Great choice on a router BTW......

if i use wireless is there a way so other people cant use my connection?

Yes, I personally only allow the two computers here by using a mac address filter, but there are other ways.

Back