• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LGA775 2.66 ghz Prescott at 4.46 ghz on Air.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kunaak

I just got a hell of a CPU this weekend for $120.

its a LGA 505. it's a 2.66 ghz, 533 FSB prescott. 1 meg cache. lacks hyperthreading. comes stock at 1.275 volts. Default Multiplier is 20.

these are basically cheap mobile LGA CPU's.
they are used in dell laptops right now.
the 533 prescott line goes all the way to 3.46 ghz (27x133) after the 3.06 ghz 533 prescott, they have hyperthreading.

wish mine did, but it doesnt.

anyways, 20x200 is 4 ghz easy, and that was nothing for this CPU.
I installed windows at 4 ghz on first try.
default volts, and once in windows it showed 48C at idle, and about 60C at full load, however completely stable, and wasn't burning up the PWM temps so things were really nice and solid.

passes super pi all the way up to 4.3 ghz. 3dmark and everything else at about 4.25 ghz.
29 seconds is my best with super pi and this CPU at 1.4875 volts, at 4.36 ghz on the 1M test.

my best suicide shot is 4.46 ghz.
on air, no alaskan winter to help me get any farther as it's still about 60 degrees out with spring coming so fast, so this is just average air cooling with a Zalman 7000 CU.

currently I am running at 4.1 ghz at 1.3375 volts.
I like this speed cause it keeps my CPU at 44C, and just under 55C when at full load from Prime 95.
that seems to be the magic spot for this CPU on air, however I can boost the voltages and get 4.2 ghz stable with ease.
but the added temps arent worth the little speed I can get.

this CPU came from newegg, and was $120 used.

my motherboard is a Abit AS8, I did the Vdroop, VChipset, and VAGP mods to it, the day I got it (all on this friday)

at first this motherboard sucked.
but once you do the Vdroop mod for it, it's 20x better then it was originally.

Attachments

• cpu-4456.JPG
    cpu-4456.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 758
Patched Super PI.... suprisingly didnt help all that much.

Attachments

• 28 Patched.jpg
    28 Patched.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 740
sorry about the tiny size of the pics, the 640x480 size limit kills the detail.
this is 11,800 mips.

Attachments

• 4[1].34 mips.jpg
    4[1].34 mips.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 741
Kunaak, that is incredible! The cost of such a CPU would probably be within my budget seeing as how it is only a 2.66GHz and lacks hyper threading.

If your cooling could handle the job, this CPU and its motherboard's fets should be able to take more than the 1.375 volts you are giving it correct?

I have been out of the Intel side of the game for a while, but last time I was tuned in, people were giving their Prescott's in the range of 1.45 to 1.5volts safely. Either way 4.1GHz on 1.375 volts is very impressive.

I remember when I saw impressive results like these for my AMD Thoroughbred B, I ended up paying more to get a 0310 XPMW DLT3C JIUHB XP1700+.

If I wanted to do the same with your chip, would I bassically look for a 2.66Ghz D0 Prescott?

Thanks, and congrats on your OC!

this is the longest I cared to try Super PI. I was just too impatient to try it any farther then the 4M mark. 8M and such are just too long to do.

however, heres some other benchmarks to feed the need for proof :)

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8478959

also passed PCMark2004 but since it's at 4.3 ghz without hyperthreading, it's still lower then my old best at 4174 with a prescott 3.0E by 800 points less.
don't have a pro liscense so I can only Publish one PCM4 score, and Id rather keep my 6460 score published, even at lower mhz ;)

Attachments

• 4M patched.jpg
    4M patched.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 732
Not bad K, got any 3dmark01 runs for it?

Even if you have a crap card, the car scores would be helpful.

So wait.... the vcore droop makes the mobo work a WHOLE lot better? What kinda mhz gain did you get from it?

the droop mod is absolutly necessary for this board.
this board has the worst Droop I've seen ever for a P4 board.
set it to 1.4125 volts in bios, you get 1.34 volts in windows at idle, and 1.29 under load. this was just giving me massive instabilty when overclocking, cause while I could boot up at crazy speeds into windows I couldn't pass anything, cause the droop was making it severly unstable.
the droop on this board is incredibly bad.
I think anyone that overclocks with this board, absolutly should have this mod done.
not even a question, if you OC with a AS8, the Droop mod should be done.
the difference is like night and day.

with the mod, at 2k resistance, I am getting less then .01 variation of the Vcore, even under full load.

set it to 1.375 and I get 1.370 in windows, and 1.36 to 1.37 under full load with Super Pi at 16M. believe me, I watched Abit EQ the whole time smiling... (which I might add, Abit did great on the EQ program, I like it)

If your cooling could handle the job, this CPU and its motherboard's fets should be able to take more than the 1.375 volts you are giving it correct?

oh yeah, I ran up to 1.5 volts on this thing just fine.
this CPU runs quite cool.
I have a Zalman 7000 CU on it, and it's averaging less then 40C at idle at 4 ghz.
this CPU doesn't have much a problem with voltages till you push 1.5 volts at 4.4 ghz, then it's toasty at 60-70C under Super Pi, but still passes fine.

If I wanted to do the same with your chip, would I bassically look for a 2.66Ghz D0 Prescott?

yes, if you want a 533 FSB prescott for LGA just go to Ewiz, they sell the 505 and 515 real cheap.

the 515 is still a gamble however, its 22X multiplier may make getting a 200 FSB on air stable really hard (22x200-4.4 ghz)

the 505 is great however, cause the 20 multiplier works nicely on air, and its dirt cheap too ;)
it's pretty much a 4 ghz easy chip.

right now I am working to get my Dtek spiral waterblock adapted to the LGA set up.
I am basically gonna have to make a bracket or some thing to find a way to get it on there...

EDIT:

forgot the address to where you can get these CPU's easy. :rolleyes:

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=P4-505&c=pw

Kunaak said:
the droop mod is absolutly necessary for this board.
this board has the worst Droop I've seen ever for a P4 board.
set it to 1.4125 volts in bios, you get 1.34 volts in windows at idle, and 1.29 under load. this was just giving me massive instabilty when overclocking, cause while I could boot up at crazy speeds into windows I couldn't pass anything, cause the droop was making it severly unstable.
the droop on this board is incredibly bad.
I think anyone that overclocks with this board, absolutly should have this mod done.
not even a question, if you OC with a AS8, the Droop mod should be done.
the difference is like night and day.

with the mod, at 2k resistance, I am getting less then .01 variation of the Vcore, even under full load.

set it to 1.375 and I get 1.370 in windows, and 1.36 to 1.37 under full load with Super Pi at 16M. believe me, I watched Abit EQ the whole time smiling... (which I might add, Abit did great on the EQ program, I like it)

oh yeah, I ran up to 1.5 volts on this thing just fine.
this CPU runs quite cool.
I have a Zalman 7000 CU on it, and it's averaging less then 40C at idle at 4 ghz.
this CPU doesn't have much a problem with voltages till you push 1.5 volts at 4.4 ghz, then it's toasty at 60-70C under Super Pi, but still passes fine.

yes, if you want a 533 FSB prescott for LGA just go to Ewiz, they sell the 505 and 515 real cheap.

the 515 is still a gamble however, its 22X multiplier may make getting a 200 FSB on air stable really hard (22x200-4.4 ghz)

the 505 is great however, cause the 20 multiplier works nicely on air, and its dirt cheap too ;)
it's pretty much a 4 ghz easy chip.

right now I am working to get my Dtek spiral waterblock adapted to the LGA set up.
I am basically gonna have to make a bracket or some thing to find a way to get it on there...

EDIT:

forgot the address to where you can get these CPU's easy. :rolleyes:

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=P4-505&c=pw

Great info! My 1700 is on its way to hell anyway. Instead of a 90nm Sempron, I may have found my CPU. :D :thup:

hawtrawkr said:
awesome results kunaak thing would probably be a shoe in for 5ghz on phase :drool:

Hell, I think 5GHz wouldn't be a long shot off even if you did air cooling @md0Cer style and gave it about 1.45-1.5Vcore.

I am very seriously considering this if I can expect to get similar results.

The only problem is, I will need a new CPU, a new motherboard, a new heatsink, and a new video card. :eh?:

EDIT: Probably a new PSU as well too. You do need a new PSU for PCI-E motherboards right?

Last edited:
That is looking NICE...that is smoking my SH*T 3000... CRAPPY CBBID 0503EPDW!!!o well it is just a hold over chip until Venice or SD comes out i am actauly loking forward to the Dual core AMD chips...they seem like a decent choice...cooling is the main concern for most i think just like it was with older prescotts then again it still is...

BUT NICE CLOCKS MAN!!! if would have known that i would have gone intel i almost did anyway...just to give her a try but i never did...

@md0Cer said:
Hell, I think 5GHz wouldn't be a long shot off even if you did air cooling @md0Cer style and gave it about 1.45-1.5Vcore.

I am very seriously considering this if I can expect to get similar results.

EDIT: Probably a new PSU as well too. You do need a new PSU for PCI-E motherboards right?

5 ghz on air is extremely unlikely.
4.5 ghz on air is about the pinnacle of what I would expect from this CPU on air. I been trying like hell to get that last 2 FSB to get 4.5 ghz on air done.
but it's just not having it...
heat isn't an issue. this CPU really doesnt get all that hot except when you try to benchmark at 4.3 ghz or more.
but by then, it must be putting out atleast 125 watts of heat or more, and I just don't think a heatsink can handle that for long.

right now I got it priming at 4.1 ghz at 1.365 volts.
it's been going strong for the last 4 hours, and still letting me run the internet and Abit EQ just fine.
my Prime settings are as follows.

Password-9876 to unlock advance features.
enable round off checking.
torture test, 3rd option down.

full system torture, ram and CPU.
I am gonna let it run for a few more hours, then shut it down for the night.
hopefully burning in for a few days will get it broken in alittle and try for a 4.5 shot on air... although I still say thats just pushing my luck, but why complain :)

anyways, I have no idea if other people can expect similar results, however I can say, over at XS we have a member that got this CPU 1 day before mine, and his results were about 95% the same as mine.
he topped out at 4.37 ghz on air.
his name is crazyXP1700.
heres his topic.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55656

Back