• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LCD for Graphics Design

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twist

Well I'm looking for a good monitor for graphics design. Every review I look at doesn't usually deal with that. I know color is important, so I've been looking at that. I found the Hyundai L90D+ (which seems to be very popular), but I'm not sure how great it is with graphic design. One person said:
jddesigned said:
Now after a weekend of graphic design I have to say this isn't the best monitor for this by far and I realized I knew this going in but was hoping for better results. Color banding with gradients is quite dissapointing and this is obviously the result of 16.2 million colors as opposed to 16.7 million. So for all you designers out there who like to game also, if graphics is your primary function look towards a monitor with more colors and sacrifice a little ghosting if it may happen. As a result of this I've e-mailed Hyundai wondering where my missing .5 million colors are to correct this banding. we'll see what they have to say since they tout it as 16.7 on their site.

But this is the only review I have heard of how useful it is for graphic design. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good 19" LCD for graphic design and -some- gaming? In the $300-$450 range?

Thanks!

I'd say go for a dell 2001 or 2005fpw, the 2001 is a 20.1" 4:3 ratio LCD...been put through the test in gaming, and has excellent colors....and the biggest advantage over the L90 is it's 1600x1200 which gives you a larger area to work on. The 2005fpw is a 20" widescreen LCD. it's 1680x1050 and I absolutly love mine.

Yet another thing to consider is going with 2 17" LCD's...dual monitors is very useful for multitasking and doing things like your talking about. They're are many 17" LCD's you can get for around 200 which would put you in your budget.

The 2001 and 2005 are around 500 with coupons from dell. Checkout fatwallet.com and search their deal forums for the respective model to see if a deal is current...IIRC there's one on for both.

The Dells have 8-bit color as well, not 6-bit with dithering, correct? Which would make them better for this kind of thing.

Yes, 8bit.

And I'd say go for a 20" as well. Shop around - there are lots of 20" LCDs, and most of them use the same panel as the Dells do. Apple makes (made?) one, HP, BenQ...

Yeah, but the problem is my budget :X $500 MAX -- and that is stretching it. And of course, color quality. Very important.

I'm steering towards the Dell 1905FP, since it's within my budget and it's supposed to be very good.

I completely understand budget contraints.....but the difference between the 1704 and 1905fp is only that there are more gaps between the pixels and more plastic.
They both have the same resolution, I'd say save 100 bucks and get a 1704 way before spending the 50+ over budget for a 20+ monitor.
If your strict within your budget I'd really consider gettin a 1704 and waiting for a 100 more in cash and getting a second for dual monitors.....dual monitors are incredible...more incredible than a single 20 normal or 20 widescreen....I only say dell becuase you can get a ultrasharp (basicly a "bright") LCD for a very reasonable price.

Back