• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dfi nf4 / vx gold help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arctic-k20

guys i need some help here with my vx gold...on my dfi nf4...
i have been looping memtest this morning @ 260 with the following settings:

1.5-2-5-2-7-15-1-2-1-2-auto-1-en-incr-0-7-4-auto-auto-auto-dis-8-7-en

vcore 1.75
vdimm 3.6
vltd 1.5
chipset 1.7

bios 2.18 (tried 3.10 but was told to go back to 2.18)

those settings will do test 5 for 50 loops and i looped tests 1-8 and right now i have test 8 looping - so far it has done 10 passes...

so i think that things are stable enough for me to try to get into xp - as soon as the xp loading screen comes up - my keyboard initializes - bam BSOD......and i get the bsod right after my keyboard flashes - every time.

the 3500 newcastle is good for 2.6ghz and the ram wont error out in memtest so i dont know what setting i am using that is making xp puke?

anybody have any suggestions?

update:

cant even load windows xp with default everything.......everything at stock speeds / settings i still bsod ....

but if i pop out the vx and put in my tccd xp loads fine......very strange yet the vx can pass memtest @ 260 without too much fuss??????????????

try lower VID (and play with percentage/special control instead of VID control), lower Vldt, lower/higher Vdd and play with Drivestrength & Data Drivestrength. Try DS: 5 or 6 and Data DS: 3 or 4.

dont ram vdimm down the ram's throat. start with 3.0-3.2. u have a good chance to hit 260 at ~3.3-3.4.

bump tRFC to 16 (try 17 too, but it may prove more unstable), tRC to 7, tRP: 2 or 3 (3 may help if using cl1.5), cl1.5 (may prove to be more stable then cl2) or cl2, tRRD to 3, tRTW to 3, tREF: 3072, r/w queue bypass: 8x, max async: 7 (you can try 8 too, but if you try 8 bump read preamble to 5.5), read preamble: 5 (5.5 may work, but see note on max async), DQS: Auto (off)-0, 32bit granularity: disable, dynamic counter: disable-256, bypass max: 7, cas write: 1 or auto (leaving on auto is safest at any rate), tWTR: 1 (you can try 2 as well, but it may prove more unstable), tWR: 2 (you can try 3 too, but it may prove more unstable), tRAS: 5 (you can try 10 too, which may stabilize you some more, but will kill some throughput), and bank interleave: enabled.

see if that helps.

good luck.

Last edited:
thanks for the tips - after lots of trouble shooting it was decided by ocz that the sticks were a no go.....couldnt even get into windows at default settings - i tried their tips/tricks but nothing would work....so i am waiting for a new set

3.6v is too high, i've heard of some having trouble with running vdimm above 3.4v, and passing memtest doesn't mean it will be stable in windows, i doubt its the ram if it passes memtest, have you tried other bios' ?

3.6 wasnt too high for those sticks- thats what they needed to do 260

it was the sticks - they couldnt handle 1t at any timing - they needed 2t and default speeds/voltages to make it into windows without bsod.....

and i tried every recent bios...ocz determined that it was the ram not me.

yeah, im not saying 3.6v is too high for the ram but for the mobo, before i got the dfi board i had to feed it 3.6v with a ddr booster to get 260mhz, with the dfi board i only needed 3.4v and anything above that didn't help

Back