• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good KVM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

f1lite

Who makes a GOOD KVM switch? I'd like a 4 port DVI/USB capable one, but beggars can't be choosers. The only company I'm aware of making such a switch is Belkin and Belkin=crap.

Ive used a 4 port D-Link for years and have no problem running a wireless mouse and board through it. The thing is the cables and they can be expensive, buy the ten feet ones over say save a few$$ for the six feet ones.
So figure the cables in on the price. Some include cables.

Go to like Newegg and do a search for KVM, do the same at other shopping sites and even bestbuy or whatever site you want. They are common and most large sites carry a variety. Then do your home work and google in the product that interest you and "review". Lots of reviews out there.

Hmmm DVI ones tend to me much more expensive IIRC....I saw a Linkskey one at newegg with 4 ports but had no USB...that was 200 bucks, the 2 port with USB was 90. You could get 4 ports by using 3 2 ported ones....cost ya about 300 bucks but would have USB...and ton of cables.
You could get the 4 port linkskey and then a USB switching hub along with it.

The reason you don't see many 4 port DVI ones are there is a very small market for them. Graphics designers tend to only have 2 PC's at most. The need for 2+ KVM's is the server realm where VGA is the only thing I've seen.

Here is an odd one (one that I would use if I had multiple PC's:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-107-254&depa=1

designer for 4 PC's with dual monitors...no USB though.

Yeah, the problem I have is I have 4 machines I need to control with this; a hardcore workstation, a dually fileserver, a Linux server and a DVR. Some have DVI cards, most don't, and I have not had any luck running my USB mouse with a PS/2-USB adapter. I HATE having more than one keyboard and mouse, but it looks like that might be my solution, else buy a $250 DVI/USB switch.

Back