• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick A64 Ram Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GM1010

Ok I have a quick question about ram for an A64 system I'm putting together for a friend. He is reusing parts from a Dell and wants to keep his ram, which is possibly as slow as 2700 (could be 3200 though). I've looked around and all everyone talks about is which ram is good for overclocking (which he won't be doing) and it's hard to understand how the whole A64 setup when it's not in front of you I guess. So can the ram be used? Thanks.

*edit* It will either be a 754 2800+ or 3000+ or a 939 3000+

If he isn't overclocking, I don't see why compatible DDR RAM cannot be used. There will be a loss in performance though. S939 boards are picky about dual channel RAM. They need to be a matched set. You might want to run memtest as soon as you boot up. Also, you will need to select a divider to run your RAM.

Ok, from what I read on A64's, I figured there would be a way to do it with dividers and whatnot, I just wanted to be sure. And I just found out he has 4 sticks so I need a board with 4 dimms, ugh.

A64 will allow you to force a 1:1 ratio. If your getting a NEO2 have fun with pc2700. I have a stick of pc2700 bh-6 and i cannot make my bios run a 1:1 ratio for the life of me. A64 worked though. With the neo2 board, the ram has to have spd timings for pc3200 grr. Now i'm at a loss b/c i need a bh-6 or bh-5 that is pc3200, instead of the pc2700 bh-6 i just bought. :mad:
anyways... good luck!
-kkat

He's going with the Abit AV8 because he needs an AGP slot and doesn't need the best overclocker in the world. I hope things go smoothly :(

Thanks, I was looking at the Epox but wound up ordering the Abit, it should good enough for what he needs.

Back