• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dvd Shrink taking too long! dvd burner too slow?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d94

$30 a phone
i just flashed the firmware on my nec 3520A so it can rip @ 16x, on top of that i re-configured my ARIA
i used to rip dvd's in my tower (2.6C @ 3.4ghz 1gb ram full speed combo drive)
now i have my ARIA ( 2.6C 1gb ram 16x unlucked dual layer dvd burner)
it has XP but instead of taking 15-20 minutes its taking more like 40-50 minutes! the encoding rate on my tower would get up to 8000 kbps amd right now the aria is @ 3000kbps (and rising) it started off around 2k thou where as the tower would start around 4k and jump up from there...
so whats the deal here. my chipset? or my firmware flash didnt work?

-d94

it depends on what age group the dvd is from ( the older the faster) is what ive found, new dvds with dvd43 take around 45 mins (with a 16x dvd burner) and the older ones with dvd43 take less than 10, so its not just u, this is what ive noticed, and i dont know if its true or not but it seems like it now

hainer36 said:
it depends on what age group the dvd is from ( the older the faster) is what ive found, new dvds with dvd43 take around 45 mins (with a 16x dvd burner) and the older ones with dvd43 take less than 10, so its not just u, this is what ive noticed, and i dont know if its true or not but it seems like it now

the dvd in doing is the italian job which is fairly new, right?
hmm.. i wonder if i should pop in my combo drive and see if that makes a difference

doesnt do much of a diff, i tried the same thing when i frist started and there was no diff. just sit back and wait i guess

make sure your ide channels have udma not pio. You should rip in 8gig in less than 10minutes(that really is the max unless bad disc condition). if you shrink a 4.35 file to iso it should take about 7min. for analysising and such a will depend on settings. how long does a single layer take for you to create with shrink?

el said:
make sure your ide channels have udma not pio. You should rip in 8gig in less than 10minutes(that really is the max unless bad disc condition). if you shrink a 4.35 file to iso it should take about 7min. for analysising and such a will depend on settings. how long does a single layer take for you to create with shrink?

yup, they're on udma, it takes me 30 minutes to create a 4.4gig iso. is it possible that i need to have the HD and the burner on diff channels?

Are we talking about the actual burning process or the shrinking process?

The shrinking process is done first, and is dependent on processor speed. (faster processor, shorter time)

The burning process is simple and should be done in less than 10 mins. It's just like burning any other full-length dvd.

Bios24 said:
Are we talking about the actual burning process or the shrinking process?

The shrinking process is done first, and is dependent on processor speed. (faster processor, shorter time)

The burning process is simple and should be done in less than 10 mins. It's just like burning any other full-length dvd.

the burning process is quick - usually under 10 minutes w/decent media
im talking about the shrinking process

well are you analysizing it and encoding or just encoding it. give some info and we can help otherwise we are just guessing at teh problem/solution.

shrinking process but what and how much time/file % every detail would be nice.

iso or files then imgclassic???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I agree with el, deep analyzing can take much longer among with other things. check your event viewer to make sure your not getting errors when reading from the DVD drive. I personally found ripping with the DVD drive and burner on one channel and my HDD on the other to be the fastest way. Also if you have a disk running off a PCI card use that drive, for me it a SCSI drive Nero never has a problem with it like that. The more config info you can give the better the answers will be for you.

My computer below has a NEC 3500A drive and I use DVD Shrink also when doing movies.

For a movie thats single layer (no need for compression) it takes under 6min to copy.
For a movie thats dual layer (compression is needed) it takes anywhere from 25-40min for basic, now if I want to add the sharpening filter to it it takes anywhere from 55min-1hour and 45min

I use the extra sharpening filter on mine, since well if I'm going to use my time copying a movie, it might as well be in the highest quality I can get it.

But yes HDD and DVD drive on 2 different channels is a must to make it quicker.

Back