• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Software to permanently delete something ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Guvernment

Hey guys

Curious if anyone can give me any suggestioins on any software that will REALLY delete things from your HD ?

tanks guys, my b oss asked for some app, so just checking them out for him - personally if i wanted to get ride of info that bad i would physcailly demoslish the drive :D

The best way to totally destroy a drive without phyically smashing it would be to expose it to a high alternating magnetic field. That would render your drive unusable :D

Its more humane than taking a hammer to it ;)

I agree with Seadave, I use eraser and like it's features. You can schedule the program to erase the empty parts of your HD on a regular basis. It also installs an option in your drop down menus so when you want to delete a file you can also choose to erase it. Link-> http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/

I have a friend that used CWshredder also. Works for him, I have not tried it myself Link-> http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html

From what I understand, data on Hardrives can be recovered after they have been written over a few times. Eraser lets you up the amount of times the HD is written over, say 5-10 times for instance. You never really "delete or erase" per say the stuff on your drives, you are basically writing over the "deleted data. The more times the "area of interest" is written over the harder it becomes to recover the data. Think of it as scribbling over a wife's honey do list. If you scribbled over it just once she could still tell you what was on it. But if you invited the kids and thier friends over to help, man you got a party and she would never be able to read what she wrote.

Kendan said:
That program is fo getting rid of a certain kind of spyware/malware. It has nothing to do with wiping a drive or deleting files.

Thanks for the wake up. Like I said I know nothing of it. Again thanks for the heads up. :)

For al rage comapny buy a magnet if you are doing HDD deletion. Other then that I use eraser. People say Its impossible to delete data from you HDD but with eraser you will atleast be at a point were no civilian will be able to retrieve the files. Eraser not only dletes it over rights files like 30 times with random data so it looks like non sense stuff to recovery apps.

DuckDodgers said:
Thanks for the wake up. Like I said I know nothing of it. Again thanks for the heads up. :)

WOW

You are one lucky person to have never needed it, Coolwebsearch variants are very prevelant and a pain to get rid of without CWS.

Back