• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My idea for a archimedes screw pump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madcow235

Archimedes screw pumps would rock in theory but no one has built a small one we can use for watercooling. I was thinking about getting something like a pair of MCP600s and destroying the impellor housing to get the magnet attached to a screw. Do the same with the other and make it pump. I really doubt it would work and I would much rather have a mechanical connection between the motor and the screw.

I would love to see a small archimedes screw pump because they have insane pressure but there are no small ones.

This is really just brainstorming so comment all you want.

sounds interesting but you might just end up destroying some good pumps :\ but give it a shot if you want and let us know how it goes :p

This is just theoretical at the moment. I would really like to go with a mechanical drive and not a magnetic field drive. I need a high torque engine so maybe a drill but those aren't good for 24/7 use. I need something that can run for 2 years straight with no chance of failure.

For an experimental motor, why not use fan assemblies. I've made waterproof motors of them before and it's rather simple.

Separate the blades from the motor by taking out the hub washer.
Place a piece of tape around the stator/windings that carefully touches the bottom circuitboard. Fill this area with epoxy carefully pulling out air bubbles with a piece of wire (I use a 30 minute epoxy).
Turn it over when cured, and epoxy the components on the bottom of the circuitboard to include the power plug wires. A brush works well, you only need a waterproof coating here.

All you need of the fan assembly is the hub, so remove the blades and reinstall.

What you have now is quite the same idea behind their pumps, but for about $10 each...makes booboos a tad more bearable.

*forgot to mention, cheap fans are better for this. The balls in a ball bearing fan don't like water much, but bronze bushings last and last.

Last edited:
Are we thinking about the same Archimedes Screw? The only one I know of actauly just lifts water. You could get very high flow rates, but the head on it is exactly the height of the screw. If you want to get anything out of it that you can use for watercooling, your contraption would reach from floor to ceiling.

Here is an example of what I call an Archimedes Screw jst to make sure we are on the same page.
http://www.animatedsoftware.com/pumpglos/archimed.htm

Ugh got some name mistake :(. Maybe its a positive displacement pump. Its like two archimedes screws that grind into each other and shoot the water out of the top. The problem with fan motors is they are high RPM but low torque i need the opposite. I also need to find something that has a coarser thread then a threaded rod but is about the same length.

Oooh, a billion bytes per gallon :D

I see what you're after bud.

I still think a single screw would do fine, as it does in a jetski, but the one Cathar showed is schweet looking...solder your block together though...

Rekarp said:
what about RC Gas motors?

just a thought

A gas motor of any kind would be a bad idea. This pump will be in your computer. You would have to deal with venting exhaust gasses, supplying fuel, and starting/stopping it with your computer. Totally impractical. Plus with an RC motor you have to deal with tuning, and $25 a gallon fuel. ;) At least you're thinking "outside the box" though. :p

Oh yes, Welcome to the forums. :)

Just thought you would like to know that a propellor that is used to push a boat through the water is an archimedes screw albiet a very small one.

You could also therefore use a model boat propellor in your pump.

Last edited:
Back